Golf Mk3 Rear Calipers can be fitted to an Audi 100

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by Dave, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

These are, I believe, 38mm Mk3 Calipers? I refurbished them ages ago to go on to the EV. I originally fitted them to the PB in the 1990s.
    Recently I decided to refurbish the EVs original 36mm units and refit them.

[​IMG]

This came off the drive's side. The handbrake actuator is stuck halfway! These are aftermarket exchange items that I fitted exactly 2 years ago.
    The spring is from a pukka VAG caliper as the one they fitted was too weak. You can see the weak spring, just under the caliper, in the fisrt photo. Even though it's useless on a caliper I kept it in case I could use in elsewhere.

[​IMG]

The original rubber hose is too short as the inlet to the caliper in in a different place compared with the original. As luck would have it, I bought a full set of Goodridge hose for the EV and the front one is plleenntty long enough. (Note these have been in the shed, still boxed up as delivered, and there was corrosion on the threads even though they hade plastic plugs and caps!)

Note the 'crows foot' socket and 3/8 breaker bar. It did not need this amount of leverage to tighten the hose into the caliper, but I have lost my 13mm gland nut spanner!:cry: And Goodridge use a 13mm hex and not proper 14mm![:x]

[​IMG]

Just as on a Mk2 Golf these have to be fitted on the wrong side and so the bleed nipple is in the wrong place and bleeding has to be done with the caliper unbolted. On the Audi it is not possible to reserse cables and pipes so the bleed nipple is at the top. The long Goodridge pipe is brilliant as it permits the caliper to be aligned vertically when bleeding.

[​IMG]

Lying along the edge of the boot is the handbrake adjusting spanner. The adjuster not is hidden under the exhaust heat shield.
    It is assembled from. Left to right. A Beta 10mm tubular box spanner. A cylinder head bolt splined driver, which fits nicely into the 11mm end of the Beta. An embarassingly rusty long 1/2 extension. A Sykes Pickavant impact driver. The impact driver is only to act as a handle. I never bashed it at all!
    Not the EBC pad box. These EBC basic pads which I bought for the EV at the same time as the hoses.
    The Audi now as more brand new EV parts, about 10, including an OEM coolant pipe, Bosch's best HT leads, etc. than the Golf!lol

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dave maybe you should get into the caliper refurbishing business, you do a much better job than the 'professionals' do :thumbup:

better even than the original manufacturers at times based on your other thread :lol:

3. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

John. I want to reply to, and expand on, what you said below in the 36mm thread.
    If that's OK?
    Dave.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

of course dave please feel free :thumbup:

on a slightly related note I have asked my mate (shaz) to check the bias valve on his car to see if it is the alloy one or not, I'm starling to think my beam is almost definitely not original as now I think on it a bit more it has broken 200k miles and is still running oem type rubber bushes!