Golf mk3 water leak into rear footwell

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by stephano75, Mar 25, 2009.

1. stephano75 Forum Member

Hi peeps. I was wondering if anyone can help with any suggestions.

I have a mk3 GTI 3-door and when it rains the rear footwell gets alot of water in and i cant figure out where the hell its coming in from. Pleeease help me. Are there any common problems?..[:^(]

2. bamba.paul Forum Member

door membranes if there any thin like mk2's

3. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

i had the same problem but only when i left the front up on axel stands overnight. never found the source and it would only do it on the passenger side.

no probs when its back on the ground though.

4. stephano75 Forum Member

Mine does it just standing on the driveway. Getting really fed up with it. Just cant find out where its coming in. Aaaarghhh.

5. Andy16v

Andy16v Forum Member

Try taking the door card off and feel if its wet at all behind it or on the back of it. I had the same probelm with my Mk2 and as bamba.paul said... it was the door membrane. They are 5 for a roll from the dealers and thats enough to do a door :thumbup:

6. bamba.paul Forum Member

Check when your washing the car, after youve done the first rinse, open your doors and if the door membranes have gone you should be able to see / feel the damp patch where it has ran out the door bottom to the carpet

7. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Check the outer floor bungs in the rear footwell from under or inside the car - its initialy easier outside as you can just have a quick 30s squint. - These are notorious for rusting through and water capilliaries into the footwell leaving your car steamy, smelly & wondering where on earth the water is entering. Also a goof idea to check your rear washer hose is in one piece.

8. Galileo Forum Member

Bit late to the party here, anyway, might be of some use to know that if you have a sunroof then the likely culprit is the drain tubes at the rear are blocked/fallen off etc.

9. runes New Member

i have a mk2 with the same problem, n/s rear was filling up maybe 40mm on a bad day.[:x]
    took the door card off and membrane was shot. best method is to 'double skin' the membrane, tucking the first layer into the bottom of the door to track water to the drain holes then second skin as original. belt and braces so to say. no problems since. leak was barely noticable but enough to do damage. had already checked sun roof seal and drain tubes.:thumbup: