Golf Mk4 1.6 16v Rebuilt won't Idle

Discussion in 'Engines' started by LImerick_claret, Feb 8, 2010.

1. LImerick_claret New Member

Help
    My wife drove here Golf when frozen over christmas and severely overheated the engine. Head Gasket was red, but the car didn't seize.

I've rebuilt the engine headset, honed cyliners, new rings and conrod bearing(some piston play present), skimmed block and head

The car won't idle now. I've put a vagcom scanner and even had a mate from VW put their laptop on it and the engine show no faults and laptop shows everything working perfectly and manually opened butterfly valve with computer no problem. However the car won't start of the key and when started won't maintain an idle.

Starting engine requires filter cover removal and manual operation of the butterfly valve (screwdriver and insulation tape roll to hold open) car start lumpy but remove insulation tape and let butterfly valve return and idels smooth as you like. But no accelerator peadl response.

Turn key off and on quickly and car revs to accelerator and can be driven but if revs fall to idle car stalls.

I'm drawn to the Air Idle Speed Controller Motor but wondered if anyone out there has seen this problem.

A mate suggested that very hot engines sometines need sensors replacing that get too hot?

Hope you all might help very unhappy her indoors.