Golf Mk4 gti 20v....BENT CHASSIS?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by dj_chilli, Nov 8, 2011.

1. dj_chilli New Member

hello im new here. i have a question if any one could help me.

my car is a golf mk4 1.8 gti 20v. i have had the engine remapped and the car lowered quite low to be honest.

on my way home from work on a rainy night my car slipped and span round and the left back end hit a wall.

this damaged my left backend which dented in quite a lot. now my questtion is my friend who is a machanic said he can sort me this out instead of me going to insurance as this is my 1st car :-)...he said he can sort then dint out in the boot no problem. he also said that the chassis is bent but only at the back end. (bent upwards) as i did not hit the wall very hard he said that he could remove the bent area of the chassis and replace it with a new steel bar. the same kind of corse. and weld together. all i have to do is paint lol.... will this be ok to do or should i just get rid. which i deffo do not want to do :-(...
    please excuse me if i sound abit wrong in some parts of this as i do not have much experience about cars..

thank you

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Might be best to post up some decent photographs of the damage if you can.

3. dj_chilli New Member

ok i will get this done in the morning with a few pics. thanks

4. dj_chilli New Member

5. dj_chilli New Member

6. danTbone Forum Member

could do with pics of bent chassis

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i think that would cost more to fix than you could get another one for
    going by the gap at the rear door

8. dj_chilli New Member

ok and just to let you no the gap was not that big its just because the door was stuck and i tried pulling it out oppps. i just need to know if he does the replace and weld would this be ok to drive / thanks

9. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

i would say it is not worth saving looking at that damage, break it, sell the parts, and get another one.

10. Mook

Mook Forum Member

Jesus that looks a mess. Bad luck.

You did tell your insurance company about the car being lowered, didn't you? Just so you know, you've got to tell them about every mod you make to the car, even down to changing the wheels from standard, or your policy is invalid, basically making you uninsured.

Aside from not having cover for your own car, if you're not insured and someone else had been involved in your accident, their insurance company will sue you personally for any damages etc.

Just so you're aware :thumbup:

11. dj_chilli New Member

i think i am just going to get another golf. would i be best off selling as breakage or as a whole car, im thinking of selling it as breakage so i can keep my recaro seats and angle eye headlights. any info on what price to sell without the seats and headlights. the golf has done 113k miles and runs perfect.

thanks

12. dj_chilli New Member

just a quick question again. if the chassis is bent just a little touch would it still be ok to drive as i have now had the dints and smashed bit sorted. the wheel look inline and tidy and doesnt seem to pull to one side?

13. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Be surprised how cheap it is to jig a car, worth taking it to a few places to see if they can see damage and how much they would charge to fix it, this should have been done before the body work was done thou.