Golf Mk4 Tailgate lock jammed????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by volcom, Mar 18, 2005.

1. volcom New Member

Hi all....... just became the owner of a 99 Golf GTi 2.0l. Got rid of my Corrado VR6 cos it was crippling my pocket!!! The Golf is great..... never known comfort like it in comparison to me old bone shaker [:D]

Anyway here's my wee problem.....:pno jokes please!!!

The tailgate lock seems to have totally jammed up on me, to start with I could only get the key half way in but I sprayed the lock with some penetrating oil and eventually the key would go in but not turn.... a few days later and some more spray the lock turns but still won't open! Help?!?! I tried a search on the forums for advice on this but my pc just times out on me.

Any advice, help, diagrams or links to what might be the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

2. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Welcome Volcom

My first guess would be something has jammed the system, probably the locking barrel, but you guessed that

I can't remember exactly

Get into boot,jump over the seats
    Remove tail gate trim
    Sure it's just the 2 screws in the internal handles, & the rest is held with clips
    The barrel has 2 rods coming off it, undo the one going to the catch (taught down) pull that one to release the catch

if the catch still won't undo, check the barrel, that should be free, and the catch is jammed, you have to use your own initiative there

3. volcom New Member

Cheers Crispy 8V!

I made an attempt earlier today to take off the tailgate trim, removed the 2 screws and then started to pull at the thing... started to get scared that I had broken something when it started to pop out, so i quickly just put it all back together and jumped on the internet and found you guys!

I'll try again tomorrow when I drag myself out of bed.

Thanks again for your help

4. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

That sound of the panel coming off still un nerves me, as most manufactures make their plastic as thin as possible [:x] !

5. volcom New Member

I'm soooo feeling your pain on that one!

I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed I don't snap anything [:s]

6. volcom New Member

Crispy..... I owe you a beer!

Sorted it this morning, exactly like you said it would be... got a few scuffs on the knuckles though from popping that bloomin plastic trim [:x]

It was the locking spring mechanism that had seized, seemed to be water getting in at it from somewhere, the motor was moving therod but the spring was solid and not releasing the catch.

Cheers again