Golf MK4 V5 OEM+ Project

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by NateS2, Mar 2, 2021.

1. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Sun - Copy.jpg
    Yet another project, although this one has wheels and has been driving out for the last couple of years, unlike my Mk2 [8-}]

This was bought in 2017 with around 70,000 miles on it, its a 2003 V5 3 door in reflex silver, "Mid-Line". It was a okay spec with Climatronic, destroyed sports seats, Votex rear spoiler and CD changer. It also had it chains done by VW at about 30,000 miles. The following things were broken when we got it, the crossed out ones have been fixed :) :

• Randomly switched off - New Bosch Cam position sensors, new fuel filter, air filter, cleaned intank pump
    • Suspension thrashed - Fitted with 40 mm lowering HR springs and Koni sports dampers, R32 big bushes
    • Brakes - Original red calipers cleaned up and painted, new Brembo Max slotted discs and @EBC Brakes UK Green stuff pads along with HEL braided hoses
    • Rocker cover leaking everywhere - Have new Elring and Victor Reinz parts, yet to fit
    • Small weep from cam chain area of head gasket - This has stopped
    • HORRENDOUS driving, jerky horribleness - Still and issue, got 5 genuine coil packs to put in, any ideas?
    Mods so far
    • VW Polo short DAB aerial - Wires routed as OEM and connected to new Alpine DAB+ Head unit
    • Cruise Control Retrofitted
    • Full Leather, Heated sports seat - Fitted and wired using Kufatec loom
    • Original door cards converted to leather and reinforce with Fibre glass
    • "Soft Felt" style black centre arm rest
    • Dash + Interior plastic swap for good used replacements
    • Bora R aluminium Gear knob
    • VR6 Rear Valance fitted with custom non-resonated exhaust
    • OEM parking sensors fitted and fully wired, including K-line
    • W8 interior light - Wiring including rear view mirror dip defeat
    • Half FIS needle sweep, etc.
    • Boot Cigarette lighter
    • 3 Button key fob
    • Window up with remote
    Future plans
    • Full FIS/DIS (Currently trying to source for a reasonable price)
    • Audi A3 bulb warning retrofit
    • Hella Styling front fogs
    • New wheels (BBS RC I think)
    • OEM Xenon's with auto levelling (for the right price)
    • New front valance
    • OEM Style auto lights - Most likely using a A4 auto light switch, relays (my favourite) and a interface board to the Climatronic light sensor
    • Audi TT/S3 front running gear conversion
    • Glovebox vent (Trying to source the correct hose is impossible)
    • Remap - Any recommendations? @Toyotec if he's willing as I'd trust him more than post other places
    I'll update this with more pictures and details, if there is anything people are particularly interested in then let me know [:D]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Savagesam likes this.
  2. Richxst New Member

I need a new rocker gasket for my mk3. Been looking on Autodoc but wasn’t sure on the best brand to go for. Would you recommend Elring?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep elring or genuine

4. Peter Forum Member

Looks like you’ve done a great job so far and some good stuff planned as well.

am I right in thinking that being a 2003 it’s a 170?

Great that it’s 3 door to, my own personal view is that the anniversary is right up there in terms of one of the best looking GTI’s off all so you’re on the right track with the RC’s for me.

NateS2 likes this.
  5. NateS2

Victor Reinz also very good, they do a lot with BMW. Reinzosil sealant is a favourite

6. NateS2

It is yes! 170 HP AQN, with the red "V" ;) And I agree, I think the MK4 platform standard is pretty underwhelming but the spoiler and changing the valences/bumpers transforms it.

I've also manged to source a Passat full-FIS cluster, and ECU, convivence module, key and door handle and some other random part for a total of £37.50 which is quite the bargain considering the cluster alone goes for over £100 normally

7. NateS2

[​IMG]
    Ultra bargain cluster has arrived, with a fully working screen too! Its already taken apart from some modifications and for the case to be polished

8. NateS2

Not been around for a while but quite a lot has happened with this car. The current project is fitting power fold mirrors with puddle lights from a Skoda Superb, along with finishing the wiring for headlight washers.
    As an aside, I've also managed to almost entirely "fix" the jerky driving that seems to be present in most V5's. While I was at it, I've improved the flat spot at 4000RPM and made the idle a bit stronger as I always thought it was weak. This was all achieved by recalibrating the ECU, I've tuned EDC15 diesel's before but the ME 7.1 that runs the V5 AQN is quite a complex beast compared to that. So it was a steep but fun learning curve.

The biggest change I got really was adjusting the pedal maps. Below you can see the top curvd surface is the original map, and the green surface below is my new calibration. As you can see my new "map" is much flatter, so you have to push the pedal quite a lot further to get the same torque. This is totally a preferance thing, and this is what I ended up liking the best. The ECU can also use another map for low speeds, and this kept the original mapping to make pulling away easier without having the floor the car. upload_2022-11-7_0-0-25.png
    The "flat spot" is caused by less than optimal switchover point for the intake manifold flap. There are several factors that can be adjsuted, but initally moving the switchover back 200 RPM made quite the large difference. I need to refine this, and adjust a couple of other maps that relate to load scaling to get it perfect, but its already alot better.
    Idle was improved by playing with torque reserve and minimum timing. When the car idles "normally" it runs at a base timing that is advanced to keep everything efficient. When you try and pull away, you ask for more torque, as the timing is already advanced, the ECU opens the throttle flap to allow more air into the engine. The air actually filling the cylinders takes time, during which you can stall. Torque reserve increase load (air flow) and retards the timing to produce the same output torque. This means, when you pull away, the ECU can instantly advance timing to give you the torque you request. The car has torque reserve already, but its not very significant. I increased this, turned on additional torque reserve at low speed off idle, and allowed more retard to facilitate this higher reserve. I also played around the PID controller for idle, the D term is disabled, enabling it does make the idle stronger, but also causes a slight oscillation. I will retune the whole controller when I have time.
    Finally, a adjsuted the time constant that is used for bringing in the full throttle Enrichment (LAMFA in ME7), this results in the car running richer, faster, which helped somewhat the low/mid RPM knock that is present on these engines. To fully correct this, I need to further review timing as Toyotec has done. These engines are slightly different to the DIY tuners choice of 1.8T in that they have VVT intake and exhaust, and thus has 4 timing maps that are interpolated between. Exhaust advanced/exhaust retarded and no cam overlap to cam overlap. This took a bit of working out, but I now understand how the system works and I can apply my own changes.

afbiker02 likes this.