golf tdi porous head - prevention

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by ihs61, Feb 14, 2014.

1. ihs61 New Member

Hi

Wandering around the internet I have found many articles of 2.0 tdi golfs with porous head issues.

As I have this type of vehicle with 'touch wood' no issues, my question is do I simply leave it alone or is there anything I can do as a preventative measure. ie draining all the coolant out and re-filling with quality antifreeze

thanks to all

ian

2. nealey Forum Junkie

You could drain the antifreeze and replace, you don't want to go mad with the concentration of the antifreeze though as if it's too strong it also has a negative effect and you would be better off having no antifreeze at all.
    Vw recommend a strength of -26c so I would aim for around there, I would use vw g13 antifreeze mixed with deionised water

3. Collie Forum Junkie

what nealey said

4. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Theres a company in the Uk that treats porous castings - they use vacuum resin impregnation. I might think of the name later lol

5. ihs61 New Member

Cheers chaps

Ian

6. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

Steal Seal. This stuff really does work!
    if you're unlucky to have bought a car with a porous head try this first. I was loosing a litre a fortnight and this green liquid did the job, just make sure you follow the instructions.
    I had no heating problems afterwards nor did it affect the the temperature gauge. Best money I've spent!