golf tdi

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by dustymauve8v, Nov 2, 2007.

1. dustymauve8v New Member

hi there i have just been givin a mk3 golf tdi on a m plate thats rotten, gonna put the engine box etc in my gti, just a few questions, how much of the loom will i have to swap will the engine loom plug into my car loom also its got fly by wire throttle so does this mean i will have to swap compleat pedal box, also will the clocks go on my car loom, will the diesel driveshafts go in my 5 stud hubs, lastly how tunable is this engine eg can it be chipped thank you in advance

2. Seraph Banned

Mk3 FBW throttle?[:s]

3. dustymauve8v New Member

yep it surprised me as well so any help with the above

4. Seraph Banned

Are you sure that wasn't retro fitted?

That technology wasn't really around when the derv mk3 was designed.

I've certainly never heard or seen one.

5. AngryBob Forum Member

Mk3 TDI is defo fly by wire.

6. Seraph Banned

Ok, if you say so

Can't believe I've never come across this.[:s]

7. dustymauve8v New Member

just double checked this morning and it is fbw, any other help with the above cheers

8. Supercharged Forum Member

Yep, MK3 TDI's have the pedal sender... (basically the same technology as used on the cars with auto transmission)

Do you mean you are going to fit this to a MK2??? in that case i think the pedal box is the way to go and would be a fairly easy fit.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  9. Supercharged Forum Member

A bit more - loom wise if you have the whole car I would try and use as much stuff as you can from the TDI inc clocks if pos - just leave the lights etc on the original looms.

Driveshafts - I think you will need custom but maybe wrong (the MK3 TDI has base suspension and yours must be plus if it has 5 stud - maybe a MK3 GTI then??

Tuning wise - not much potential with these engines unfortunatly - The MK4 PD engines are the way to go if you want power but the conversion is a whole different ball game!

Remember you will need to either swap the tank or enlarge your neck to take a Diesel fuel nozzle... Also need TDI pump ideally but petrol filter can be left inline with the TDI one in the engine bay - should have bracket for this on other car...

10. dustymauve8v New Member

right just to clarify a few things i have a mark 3 gti 2.0 8v with the 2e engine (which will be for sale when conv done) and its a mk 3 m reg tdi so regards to the loom will it plug into my car loom and will the tdi driveshafts fit my 5 stud hubs cheers

11. dustymauve8v New Member

any one?

12. voteforpedro Forum Member

I know from when I was looking to fit 5 stud hubs to my Mk3 TDi that the GTi drive shafts are slightly longer. I also know that the drive shafts should bolt straight up to the TDi gearbox.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Are you going to swap the entire loom into the GTi chassis?

13. dustymauve8v New Member

i was trying not to mayby just the engine side but i dont know really know any takers

14. prof Forum Addict

use the gti shafts as you have longer wishbones than a tdi,