Golf V6 4Motion has lost 36BHP???

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Gunx, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Gunx New Member

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the fist big issue i see with that plot is that the run only goes as far as 5200rpm. does your car rev past there?

from memory, VR6s make max power at 6krpm ish (im not a vr6 expert).

according to that plot, it was a very warm day, is that correct? the power plot is often corrected to take into account high temps.

if youre from the midlands and feel like really seeing what the power output of your car looks like, you should get to Stealth racing.

anywhere called "Street Racers" sounds like an utter joke to begin with

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

were you running it on super unleaded or 95?

my 32 revved out about 5500 as it was pinking it's balls off due to the cheapo petrol

4. Gunx New Member

that was fun!!!!! - on the short strech i've i got near my house managed in 2nd gear to get into the reds - tops out at about 6500 - 7000rpm (trying to keep my eye on the road!!!) - not sure if you need to do it in a higher gear? (not enough space!!!) - need a motorway i think!

the computer told the tester when to let go of the accelerator

5. Gunx New Member

standard unleaded

6. craggsy Forum Member

So are you from Leicester?

7. Gunx New Member

19" rims make a difference??? Some people told me the bigger the circumference of the wheel the slower the car gets - kinda makes sense?? Wouldn't have thought that much

8. Gunx New Member

Yep leicester

9. jamesa Forum Junkie

Thanks for updating the plot ..... something odd there, peak torque is just over 3k ? plus the `crossover` between the power and torque is nowhere near the 5252rpm mark ... pp
    www.emeraldm3d.com

It`s also odd that you had to ballast the car on one side, if the RR bed was not set up correctly it may be a contributing factor .... I assume your suspension is OK ?

Not sure if the larger wheels affect things .. is the overall rolling radius equal that of the original wheels & tyres ?

Did the operator increase any of the tyre pressures before the run, this is sometimes done to offset the drag effect of the rollers which may affect things.

Do realise that all this `waffle` is not really helping you; suggest you consider all the previous fuel and engine system checks offered.

10. Seraph Banned

No sense, As james said

As a wheel increases in diameter, the tyre profile decreases (if done properly), so the rolling radius remains consistent with the manufacturer's spec.

11. jc.. Forum Member

tyre size wouldn't affect the power reading, merely the rev reading.
    200bhp through 19's is still 200bhp

12. Gunx New Member

guys check out this link - has some power curves of some 4motions - all seem to be similar to mine! - www.awesomegti.com -

click on Rolling Road at the top and then the 7th link from the bottom of the list (UKMKIVs Rolling Road Day Results 14th Jan 2006)

13. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

Lambda goes a bit loopy over 5000rpm... between ~4800 > 5300 it gets sharply richer and richer. Maybe the computer picked up on that and told the operator to lift?

My VR6 peaked at a touch over 6000rpm so I'd imagine a 24v to peak a little later?

14. Gunx New Member

ok guys, got the diagnostics:

Temp sensor needed
    Lambda probe sensor pre cat
    Lambda probe sensor post cat

the guy said hopefully after doing this i won't need a new cat but not sure until this work is done.

could this be the cause of my lost bhp??

Other than this there seems to be nothing wrong with timing or anything else.

Also could someone confirm that I have a timing chain and not a belt (engine code AUE) and if its a chain when do you think is the right time to change it (i've done 65K miles).

Thanx

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

hard to say if that is the definitive cure to your cars issues.... but they will definately be contributing to it

16. diggerbucket Forum Member

You have a timing chain which is supposed to last the life of the car - no service interval. IF it ever gets noisy you could think about it.

17. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Serious power loss through transmission... My car only lost 29bhp from flywheel to road wheels....

Possible the clutch is gobbling up power?

18. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

another dubber in leicester yay!

sorry to hear about your car but the sensors may be a big contributer

19. Gunx New Member

Any idea on a check or fix for that - had a new clutch about 8 months ago

20. jamesa Forum Junkie

I assume The db is referring to his 2WD motor, 4WD will be greater although I`m unsure of how much the 4Motion loses as it`s a part time system that depends on acceleration and slip forces to engage / disengage the rear drive.