Got a Mk3 16v ABF?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Funkyfin2000, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Hi All,

If you have a Mk3 16v ABF engine then how many miles do you get a tank of fuel? Also what is your average approx miles normally around on your MFA.

Myself:

Fuel - Tesco Superunleaded
    Miles per tank - 280miles per tank (mix of short drive and longer drives)
    Average Miles - from 30mpg - 34mpg (but see 39mpg at 70mph steady on motorway)

Lets hear yours, i feel my miles per tank is pretty low and the car isn't driven that spiretedly!

Rich

2. AndyOut Forum Member

Sounds about right, Mine does about the same !!......If your bothered about MPG then A 2.0 16v wasnt the right choice!!

3. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Not bothered about it mate, just gauging what other people got :)

4. stevegtx Forum Member

thats about wot i get when im on a long run can get 350 if i watch my speed,i think 30 to the gallon for a 16v 2lt is really good

5. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

I have done about 350 once in my life slow motorway driving, I have also done 220 with red lining constatly.....and silly speeds...

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

300 miles on every tank, minimum. the last one did 356 but 220 of those were on the motorway.

absolute maximum was 410, nurburg to home, and i did some more miles the next day before filling up.

but every tank will do a minimum of 300, no matter how hard i drive the thing

7. cockney chris

cockney chris Forum Member

how do you do that then. I get 27 - 28 when dodging to the shops and back (silly runs) and the average for last weeks French trip was 35. These are all MFA readings so not strickly acurate. Only ever once have I got it to 40 but I just had to think of going faster and it went down again. Mine must need some TLC.

8. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

how do you only get 280 miles to a tank, but your mpg is between 30-34mpg?! [:s]

fuel tank is 45l, but you can fit more in, and 45l is roughly 10 gallons, the rest of the math isn't hard.........

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

ive put 47-48 litres in mine. i think its meant to be a 55 litre tank innit?

how many litres is it per gallon again?

10. azur Forum Member

4.6 litres to the gallon or there or there abouts. 55 litre tank.... well... ive got 53 in there before after running it right down

Theres a pretty big reserve on mine... i get about 40 odd miles below the white line :lol:

Pushed it to far once and ran out next to a police station blocking the entrance [:$]

Never fill the tank right up.... to much weight. i put 20 quid in at a time of the shell or BP pukka stuff as the higher octane runs well with my advanced ignition timing.

on my 6 mile journey to work and back i get 30mpg but it runs richer until its properly warmed up.

35-40 is fairy easy crusing A roads in fifth gear.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what you done to the ignition timing?

have you seen my mpg world record threads? ive had some pretty stupid mpg from mine

12. azur Forum Member

An performance EPROM chip will basically advance your ignition timing and adjust your fuel maps. Your ebay job will have done the same.

The Octane rating of fuel is the extent to which it can resist dentonation. If your ignition is advanced to much on low octane fuel it will "knock", where it sparks the air/fuel mixture too soon before the piston has reached TDC, so energy will be wasted as its not using as much to force the piston down on its down stroke.

High octane fuel will resist detonation untill its under higher compression which matches well to increased ignition advance so the ECU can use the highest values in the map without the danger of knocking.

My fuel economy hasn't been affected by the chip, as although it uses more fuel, there is a more efficient combustion of the air fuel mixture.

Its amazing how many mpg you can get with the ABF... i reset my MFA mid journey when it was fully warmed up. i was getting 45-50 mpg along an A road at 50 in 5th gear!

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i can do a whole 220 mile trip to cheshire and get 44mpg lol

as for the chip, i wondered if you had done it another way. i wouldnt be suprised if they all had the same map on there anyway, its probably ex stock superchips etc stuff thats being sold on.

im happy with mine, give me a lazer etched torque plot that climbs continually to 6k

14. azur Forum Member

Yeah... i wouldn;t be surprised if they were the same. As i spent about 250 quid more on mine im going to say its better for the sake of it and to keep my sanity :lol:

The delivery is perfect now. it responds well to the throttle below 3000 rpm and then there is a slight surge at just before 4000 and then it pulls all the way to 6500

The low down torque is also good as i can climb hills in 5th doing 2000-2500 rpm!... think modding my throttle body is mainly the reason for this though

15. t'mill Forum Member

MATT, have you got a linky for this chip and are they easy to fit?

16. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I once seen a true 500 miles from a tank on my last ABF. I was camping and skint and had to eek every last drop out her - Never full throttle, spin up at low throttle opening (never letting her labour) to about 2500-2800 and then change gear and try to run on closed loop for as long as possible - 45 to 50 mph tops. It was the middle of nowhere so there was no other traffic and it was nice for the scenery to be more than a passing blur.

On my current valver she runs quite rich (20-30mpg) until she gets properly warmed up. But I get an indicated 36-37 at 70ish but more if I grandad it at 50 and I can easily see an indicated 40+. I never get less than 300 miles per tank but regularly get 200 miles from 27 litres.

17. Ess Three Forum Member

Oh lordy...
    You lot should swap it for a diesel.
    40+ MPG is what I'd expect from a 130 PD.

Mid to late 20s from my ABF both standard and modified.
    Maybe I just have heavier shoes?

18. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

I got mine from some dude on the 'bay but he's no longer a registered user - It winds around cleanly to 7.5K - I took her there once and once only as there's no point with a standard head/cams and rod bolts (yikes). She'll go there regularly one day but not yet.

I cant tell if there is any difference or if she's any smoother as she ran pretty spot on anway. If someone has a suitable EEPROM reader and burner and someone else has a GTECH its possible someone could test them back to back on the same vehicle- but I guess the quantative differences could easily be lost in the measurement errors.

I can understand why you only get 20-30mpg - The roads where you live are long, deserted and driving heaven. Where I live there's too many traffics and traffic to safely rag it around - Unless you go out in the middle of the night! I think I may be getting old though - I had my old MK3 flat out more than once but I've only had my blue once past the ton once since last January; I'm just too scared of losing my license.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  19. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I get an avg of 34-40mpg on my work commute which is 45 mins of A-roads and some country roads. Full tank topped all the way up to the filler normally sees well in excess of 300 miles. Just fitted a S/S exhaust as the old one was haggard and am also going to fit a panel filter and butcher the airbox so expect to see the fuel economy drop to 30-35 - but thats still miles better than my old mk2 which just about managed 30mpg driven in 5th gear at 40mph

20. k plate Forum Member

Well i think i need another GTI as my 1.8spi gets a grand total of 26 miles to a fiver although this might have something to do with the thermostat being in the bin and not on the car.