GPS Speedometer

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PhilRyder, May 31, 2022.

1. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Anyone used one? Which one? How well did it work? How well did it keep GPS signal?

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

My old sat nav had one, was pretty accurate as far as I knew, kept me out of trouble with the minor when speedo failed.
    Think smiths do one now, a few on aliexpress too.

3. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’d be interested in this too, with the 02m box needing a lot of work for a speedo in the mk2. I was also kinda hoping the canchecked stuff would work with the 02m speedo but no one can confirm it

4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I've ridden a few bikes with them fitted, can take a minute or two to lock onto GPS sometimes and they don't like tunnels.

Saying that they are perfectly useable.

5. PhilRyder

The reason I ask is that I have a digital speedo which is totally programmable but it relies on a sensor and magnet attached to the prop shaft. This is perfectly normal and it’s a very expensive bit of kit but I’m pretty sure the magnet has come off. I need to reattach it, obviously, but it’s something I could do without doing more than once being that it’s a very difficult area of the car to get to other than on a lift.

6. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Well the GPS on my phone is spot on and never have an issue with that. It’s got me thinking so I’m going to do a bit more research

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

how programmable is the digital speedo? you could fit an abs sensor and use a corsa vr->hall converter relay to get a speed signal

8. PhilRyder

Essentially it's like the magnet set up for a push bike speedo. You can put the sensor and magnet on any rotating part and then configure the speedo to match. A hall sensor recognizes a "gap " if I'm not mistaken, rather than a magnet? What does an ABS sensor read?

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the abs sensors are variable reluctance type so no good, but the corsa relay I mention converts the signal to hall type. I meant more how configurable is your clocks, the ABS sensor puts out 43 pulses per wheel rotation and not all of them can correct that much if you get me.

I'd assume your sensor+magnet will output a hall type signal i.e. a square wave

PhilRyder likes this.
  10. PhilRyder

Good question, I'd have to look at the manual again but I get the feeling the signal will be fixed from what I have read.