Greetings from an Audi 90 20v owner

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Gadbury, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

25V =
    7A Audi 90 engine - what's the lineage?

Gadbury likes this.
  2. Gadbury New Member

Happy New Year to all!

Thanks Dave. I found the thread very interesting. In fact, that's one of the threads that drew me in here to sign up :hug:

While window shopping, I stumbled across these for sale (or rather, available to order). I thought of you!

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com...lloy-wheel-white-audi-v8-8x16-5x112-et35.html

Not sure exactly what these are in terms of BBS model name/designation. Presumably forged as they're light?

Any noticeable drawback to running wheels with a slightly more negative offset? 10mm is significant. I'm not interested in track days, just occasional spirited driving and a comfortable cruise. I'd like to buy a set of new wheels one day. I do prefer to maintain oem specifications. I like the idea of keeping to 15" (16" tops) as the wheels are light, maybe increase the width from 7 to 7.5 as currently the body overhangs and the wheels look inset. Lots of wheels available with the correct PCD in ET35/38/40 but an offset change is going to affect the scrub radius, which I understand is quite important!

Dave likes this.
  3. Dave

Thanks James.
    I have been doing quite a bit of research over the last few days.
    Wheels - Suspension - Homologation
    I shall report my findings bit by bit.

Today Wheels.
    Those white BBS look spot on.
    white rg.png

I was wrong about them being forged by Fuchs! I knew that BBS Germany did not have forging facilities so, sort of guessed, Fuchs.
    Turns out BBS Japan made the wheels.

rg 1985.png

Also 8x17s were not that uncommon.
    The Nissan Skyline, and others, also had 8x17 as an option. Trouble is: Bore - Offset - PCD were all wrong for the Audi!

As you state scrub radius is uber important.
    Some time ago I drew up the front suspension for Mk 2 GTIs using my caD system to pictorially show the effect of offset and diameter.
    My 74 year old brain is dead now but, I do remember that as you increase wheel diameter the offset needs to change, I just can't remember now as to which way, to the keep the original scrub radius.

4. Dave

Thanks James.
    I have been doing quite a bit of research over the last few days.
    Wheels - Suspension - Homologation
    I shall report my findings bit by bit.

Today Wheels.
    Those white BBS look spot on.
    white rg.png
    I knew BBS Germany did not have forging facilities so guessed Fuchs. Turns out it was BBS Japan who sorted it.
    rg 1985.png
    8 x 17 were available as accessories for the Skyline as well as the V8. I found some but the Bore, ET and PCD are all wrong for the Audi.

As you state scrub radius in uber important. I drew out the Mk 2 Golf. Bigger diameter wheels need a different offset to maintain scrub radius but I can't remember which way. In or out.
    Find this thread.
    Scrub radius, and offset importance.
    Regards, Dave

Gadbury likes this.
  5. Gadbury New Member

I'll leave you to rack your brains and I'll have a think myself. Very interesting discussion!

I do know that tyre choice is pretty limited for both original 205 50 15 and 225 40 16. Basic fit comparison here:

https://www.willtheyfit.com/index.p...ct2=40&wheel_size=16&wheel_width=8&offset2=35

Last edited: Jan 3, 2023
    Dave likes this.
  6. Dave

Find this thread:
    Scrub radius, and offset importance.

Gadbury likes this.