GSF/Euro Spring Kits

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by VDubChap, Oct 24, 2003.

1. VDubChap Forum Member

Anyone using GSF or Euro spring kits on there Mk3? If so, are they any good?

And are non-gen bump stops from either company any good?

Cheers :thumbup:

2. Greenmk1 Forum Member

Personally I would only trust service parts such as filters, spark plugs etc etc, from GSF or Euro Car Parts because in my past experience most of the other stuff isn't much cop.

3. daveybwoy Forum Member

Got the lowering kit for GSF......they gave me an 8v first so swapped that for a 16v. So far its been fine but I fully understand what Greenmk1 is saying.

4. edc1 Forum Member

What do you mean by other stuff? ECP distribute Bilstein dampers which are quite decent. Brake items are also branded and fine too.

5. Greenmk1 Forum Member

Fair enough. The brake and suspension parts that they sell are all branded quality gear as are 90% of things like engine parts. Suppose the stuff that is crap are parts like bumpers, trim, panals etc. ;)

6. The Other Simon Forum Member

I haven't used the golf ECP springs, but the Passat ones are awful. Branded 'Ventura' they use much thinner coils than the VW ones. To make the spring stiffer they then use fewer turns. All of this has the effect that the car rides at the correct height when unladen, but slams to the floor when you put any weight (like passengers) in the car.

After I had the springs on for a week, I ripped then out and took them back. After a small argument about the fact that I had fitted them, ECP did give me my money back.

The Bilstein dampers were fantastic - slightly stiffer than the Boge VW originals. Just enough to improve the handing but still survive potholes.

The ECP bumpstops were very poor quality. Took four of them back since the centre hole was took large and they rattled on the dampers. The VW ones were only slightly more.

Simon.

7. Rustynuts Forum Member

Can't fault GSF, just got Boge lowering kit for Mk1 and it really does handle well now. Need wider tyres to get more grip though :o

Also you benefit from the 10% discount from being a club memeber which is a bonus.

8. mk2driva Forum Member

agree with the other simon in that with the ventura springs the car sits at the rite height but when you have two in the back it just sits far to far down. the bilstein shocks seem not bad (or is it my imagnation that i can tell the difference between the shocks and springs!! :p ) i have bought a lot of stuff from euro as im a realtively inexperienced modder and aint sure where else to try. i have bought a rear bumper and the first one they gave me was poor quality so the guy changed it for another which is not bad. i bought all my bumpstops, nuts washers and spring topcaps from VAG (as these were not supplied for my kit). the wishbones are poor quality as mine knocj quite a bit despite being checked numerous times. thats what my experience of ECP has been others may have diferent opinions :)

9. VW-Al New Member

Hello,

I've got the ECP Streetline Sports kit on my mk3 16v. It's ok but you can tell it's a bit cheap and cheerful. It's supposed to lower by approx 35mm but mine looks more like 50mm at the front. However the wheel arch gap at front and back is even which does give it a nose down kind of stance if you know what I mean ... [:s]

It is rock hard though !! :( I think from what I've read in other threads, this is down to the springs rather than the Bilsteins ?
    Back wheels only catch on big bumps with 5 in.

Cheers

Al