gt tdi 130 in my mk2???

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by geany, Aug 21, 2007.

1. geany Forum Member

thinking of doing this as looking at commuting and fancy something a bit different. I know someone has done this in a mk1 and i was very impressed. Just wondering what was involved and if anywhaere carried out the conversion.

i would assume

Engine
    ECU
    Clocks
    Ancilleries
    Fuel pump
    fuel lines
    new fuel tank?????
    gearbox

may get a 1.3 mk1 or something and use that for this conversion

2. Aphex Forum Junkie

If you can get a cheap mk1 then go for it! May be best money-wise trying to put it in a mk2.

3. A7_UFO Forum Member

speak to Roy @ Autobahn 07787 315568 - he put a PD150 in my mk2. My car is in basingstoke if you fancy a butchers.

4. Paul26982 New Member

oh wounder how much that convertion would set you back, starting 1k for just a engine probs

5. A7_UFO Forum Member

depends on what spec you want. There are a million PD130s in breakers because the engine was so common across the VAG range. You should be able to find a complete engine for 600.

As long as you don't want to go 6spd you will have to get the ECU decoded and run off your mk2 clocks. Running 6spd results in major work to get the box fitted, custom driveshafts etc and obviously running the mk4 clocks will require quite major wiring efforts.

6. Paul26982 New Member

had a pd150 leon cupra tdi, running bout 210bhp with a **** load of torque was imense

7. Admin Guest

crispy8v has got one in a mk2, as well as installing one in a mk1

8. geany Forum Member

i have an old kjet gti mk2 so would this make things harder being that i have no ecu???

could i just run it off the tdi engine ecu???

9. Supercharged Forum Member

No harder - you'd have to run the tdi ecu and clocks - makes it much easier...

Donor car is the easiest way and then mount a mk4 fusebox on the left hand side keeping the original one for wipers, lighting etc... that way your basically just providing power to the engine...

Fuel filler neck will need to be enlarged and not sure now the K-jet pump will cope with the heavy fuel but the PD TDI's only require 1.5 barr to the fuel rail - it's the unit injectors which ramp it up to 29,000 PSI!!!

10. PaulM Forum Member

What engine mounts would you use? Does the TDI have similar mounts to the 1.8t? What gearbox would you use? As you can probably tell i'm quite interested in doing this.

11. Seraph Banned

Crispy8v?

Well, he has too, and knows all things vag - a good contact perhaps.

12. Supercharged Forum Member

No - Modern TDI's use MK4 style mounts - basically the engine is suspended at either side with the Pendulem (dogbone) mount that takes the torque running to what would be the subframe on a MK2 (unlike MK2/3 style engines that were mounted to the front crossmember)

Welding the MK4 mounts is the only proper way of doing it i think as VW spend alot of time developeing these to take the high torque of these engines and to reduce noise / vibration....

Cool mod tho - modern TDI in an older car!

13. mark25 Forum Junkie

A mk3 TDi is vertually plug and play in a mk2 with the whole dash, which is 10mm or so longer so needs fettling.

14. judderi Forum Member

Yeah but the mk3 tdi isnt a patch on the mk4 one.

15. mk1Matt Forum Member

I thought the chassis legs on a mk2 aren't strong enough to hold the engine properly, which is why most 20vt conversions use the mk2 mounts on the subframe. couldn't you do something similar with the tdi? I would have thought the block was the same basic design as the mk3 one, therefore you should be able to fit the mk2/mk3 mounts. I could be wrong though...

16. Supercharged Forum Member

Maybe Matt yeah but like I say, not sure about the vibration and the fact the engine is meant to be held at the back, not the front...

TBH - MK2's are so strong and solid they make great bases for conversions - look at other stuff that age - Pigeon 205, Vauxhall Nova's etc...