GT TDI gear selector pin sheared- what parts needed to repair?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Elfin, May 7, 2012.

1. Elfin New Member

On Saturday morning I started my Golf Mk4 GT TDI 150 and struggled to get it into reverse. It finally went in and I drove to work, about 50 miles. When I finished work I got back in the car and reverse selected fine. I then selected 1st and lifted the clutch and nothing happened. Same with 2nd. All other gears are fine.

I have done some searches and it sounds like this is a weakness in the 6 speed box where the selector fork pin shears?

If it is this, what parts need to be replaced? Am I right in thinking the gearbox needs to come out and be stripped?

All advice is much appreciated thanks!

2. Hi Elfin, yes that's true. This is their first weak point. Some times the selector fork itself bends. You will need a new selector fork and yes u are right in thinking that the box has to come out and be stripped. I can't recall on which forum but if you google search and spend some time you will find a thread that shows exactly the procedure A to Z and also some modifications that could be done to avoid this from happening again such as strengthening the selector forks and brazing the pins with spot welding. It's out there somewhere. Good luck

3. Elfin New Member

4. Elfin New Member

Oh also, what would the specific gearbox code be for the GT TDI 150?

5. Yes that would be a good replacement. At the time i was looking there were no such upgrades :lol:

6. You should be able to see your gearbox code in the boot sticker if i'm not mistaken but a quick look in my notes reveals 4 codes, that be : ERF,EFF,DRW and FMH. There are some differences in the gear ratios and some final drive ratios

7. Elfin New Member

8. No problem man :thumbup:

9. Elfin New Member

Can anyone recommend any garages around the Kent area that do good in house gearbox repairs? I'm based in Maidstone so nearest to that would be best.

10. Hello. I'm having this exact same problem. Could you or anyone else tell me the solution. Do i need to buy nd fit another gear box or can i buy just the gear selector linkage? Thanks in advance.