GTD/ MK2 TD HELP NEEDED- Please

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by notchnut, Jan 16, 2016.

1. notchnut Forum Member

Hi all

my brother has a mk2 gtd engine in his mk1 caddy and its soon going to be needing a head as its developed a slight diesel knock and the injector that it seems knocking on has been araldited in (not by us) but also the head is slightly chipped around it so its all covered in araldite.

what i want to know is what would be the best option to sort this as gtd heads are hard to find, could an aaz head go on?

any info will be appreicated and help :)

tom

2. m1keh Forum Member

By the time you have sourced an expensive head it maybe just as simple to go to a 1.9 lump... Dare I say it even TDI.... MK3 golfs or Mk2 ibizas with ahu's or 1z engines are dirt cheap now...

3. notchnut Forum Member

That's what the plan could be if we can't get one, there much wiring with the tdis to convert? Not converted a diesel yet, only my mk2 from 1.3 to 1.6 then to Abf on carbs then Abf on injection then back to carbs with standalone management and now nearly finished converting it to agu lol

4. m1keh Forum Member

There isn't too much wiring with an early TDI... - probably as much as the ABF on injection...

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hardest part of tdi swap is mounting the dbw actuator, which isnt really that hard at all ;)