GTI advice wanted

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by Ditchyboy, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Ditchyboy Forum Member

Hi,
    I am looking at getting a new car (new to me anyway) and I have been a big fan of the mk5 since it's release but never afforded one.anyway hopefully by Xmas I will have enough to purchase one.I had wanted the R32 but realistically the cost,running,tax etc just makes it out of my league.similar with the Ed30,would love one but buying price is still a bit out of my reach.so hopefully I can get a 200bhp GTI for 6-7k.I know it will be a challenge but I will wait for the right one.I want a low mileage 60,000 or less in black 3dr with tartan recaros and DSG.
    I would just like some advice/reviews on owning them and real life costs of running,maintenance etc.

On another note would anyone recommend any other 3rd mk5 in the range over a GTI?I.e GTTDI in 140 or 170bhp?or what about the 1.4tfsi?(think I got the letters right!)what are the differences in tax across these models?do the 1.4 mentioned have good mpg?

I prefer the looks of the GTI but I want to have the car 3-4 years and don't want it to cost stupid amounts,for reference I currently do quite low miles,about 5-6,000miles a year but i should be starting a new job in next 2 months which could put me nearer to 12,000-15,000 as a rough guess.

Thanks

Michael

2. HPR

HPR Administrator Admin

TDI 136 /140 ps its just enough to have some fun but nowhere near a GTI,
    IMO the GTI with manual 6 speed GB is most FUN,
    Try to drive cars with Manual and DSG gearbox before you buy

3. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

.............get on here mate. www.mk5golfgti.co.uk

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Plenty of GTIs around for your budget. Go for a GTI. You wont regret it. Save a little longer, and you can get a decent Edition 30, which are creeping in at around 10k these days.

I think i will plan to get a decent Edition 30 to strip for a track car in a couple of years. :thumbup: Once we have purchased our house that is. Save save save at the moment. :(

5. Ditchyboy Forum Member

slightly changing car but is the mk5 4 motion gttdi basically the R32 chassis / drivetrain but diesel? If so surely this is a good motor?

6. Ditchyboy Forum Member

mk5 steve how did you get a username, everytime i try to confirm it says the letters do not match even when i have listened to them and they definately match, i have tried using caps, non caps and spaces but nothing works

7. GTi_BHR New Member

In 2004 I owned a Mitsubishi Evo 7 ... I LOVED IT
    from 2006 till 2012 i used my brothers car Toyota Camry.... UNTIL 4 months ago [:D]
    I bought the MK5 Golf GTi ((DSG)) 2008 STOCK nothing added @ all .... Im simply in love with it
    Great car .. Great performance .. More economical vehicle than the Evo or even the camry that I used to drive
    You'll love it bro

8. squibby Forum Member

I've got DSG in my Pirelli Edition Mk5. I think I prefere the Manual Box for fun and involvement. However, the DSG is involving enough that the gap between the two is fairly small, and of course the DSG makes for better performance, so what you loose in driver involvement it kind of makes up for a little with additional performance.

I'd take the manual, but not if I found a better deal in a DSG. Go for the best deal.

The TFSI with the K04 Turbo is monstrous. It's a large step up in performance and the with a remap it's vastly ahead of a remapped standard golf. Well worth the extra money for a pirelli/ED30 if you can afford it. If you intend on power upgrades, the Pirelli/ED30 is better value then the standard because you get so much more back for less outlay In my experience. I've spend about only 400 pounds and got 248 BHP at the wheels, so kind of offsets the extra cash I invested in the special edition.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  9. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

..............looks like your sorted now mate?. For the life of me i can't remember how i did it joined back in 2004 & as you can see from my post count not on here a lot.lol