Gti front arch corrosion

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by nut 20v, Feb 16, 2014.

1. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Hi just bought a mk5 gti as a run around BUT it has small amount of bubbling on the front arches the chap showed me a thread on the mk5 forum and it seems a common problem and VW have put it right but the last 2 stamps are indy's so i don't think they will put this one right has anyone on here heard of this and got it repaired?

2. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Had it repaired at Vw on mine. I didn't have any Vw history, just they will only do it if the paint thickness measures factory.

And it's through the anti corrosion warranty.

nut 20v likes this.
  3. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Ill get it off to the dealers in a few weeks then to look at it.

4. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

be ready for a whole barrage of excuses from the dealership...

"its a mechanical fault due to arch liner rubbing the panel... not a paint fault.. hence under the 3 year mech warranty, but it is looked at under goodwill" - really? I dont seen any mechanical moving parts in a panel, surely it comes under bodywork.
    "the warranty work wont cover blending the paint/any trim on the door" - really? so a VW body shop will not take pride in their work and make good any work they do?
    "the 12 year warranty was reduced to 10 years" - really? so the VW warranty on new cars is not worth the paper it is written on? I didnt realise manufacturers could cut the term post sale.
    "VW will only cover 50%, with 15% goodwill from the dealer... the rest from you" - really? since when did warranty mean the owner of the car pays?

I heard all these when getting mine looked at last week. I just shrugged at the time. Will wait to see what VW (UK) come back with, and then will kick up a stink with the 'really' comments.

5. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye just you luck on which dealer you go to I think
    I tried with a polo year ago but unfortunately it had been painted at some point
    So it was a no go ended up getting It sorted by a local body shop

Best to not let them fob you off most seem to give you 50 or 75% as said above
    Others times you'll get 100%

I'd be looking to get the wings replaced rather than just painted

Give the rest of the car a good look mk5's can rust in other places

6. beetie

beetie Forum Member

there Is a tsb about it, it tells them the procedure to fix the wing and to cut the foam panel down.

Vw UK will know about it. I got 100percent paid for at Leicester Vw on wings that were On standard paint.

7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Arch liner rubbing the panel?! How about the huge lump of foam behind the wing that's retaining water, and rusting the wing from the inside, out? Jokers...

8. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

yup - they said that too about the foam.
    The guy even referred to the bulletin advising on the fix and talked me through the process - so they accept it is a known issue. I guess they are trying to manage expectations of the customer and also test the water to see how receptive the customer is to paying towards the work. No doubt the bodyshop/dealership has probably been given targets to minimise the cost of claims etc.

I just listened this time around - I'm not going to rub the bodyshop guys up the wrong way. I'll let them submit the claim and give me the usual 'defensive speak'.
    Once I get the reply from VW, if the reply is not satisfactory, then I will politely take it up with the bodyshop 1st and then VW (UK).

I might even set my wife on them (stubborn and cranky city lawyer who is currently on mat leave)... Although I think that would be unkind to the dealership/VW lol.

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Friend of mine is a manager of a VW dealership's bodyshop - , guy I work with has mk5 Golf with rusty wings, I called my friend asking about getting the wings replaced, he said car must be original paint, not full of filler from previous repairs and preferably full VAG service history, he used to deal with gaining authority for the job, but now it's down to someone else in the main dealership (bodyshop is remote), who will take photos, paint depths etc then seek auth from VW.

He said often VW will ask for a 50% contribution (250 a wing I think he said,don't quote me on that!)

I'd guess you'd get a wing fitted for that, painted etc elsewhere!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  10. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

What a joke! I knew mk5's were poorly built but to have the front wings rust already? What with the common problem off the drivers door dropping, the locks and window mech failing, condensation in the lights etc. I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole!

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

much the same as the mk4 then
    i hear the locks are a pain to do worse than the mk4 as you cant get in at them
    some had problems with the steering racks didnt they

could be alot worse i gess
    i'd have a mk5 at some point tdi or a r32

12. GVK

Biggest problem with the locks on mk5s is the fact you take the outer door skin off to fit anything inside the door, take the inner door card off and there's nothing to see... So if you have one locked and unable to get into, it's a whole world of pain.

Also, if you ever do take one off the bolts on the front edge of the door are different to the ones on the lower edge, if you put a bolt from the lower edge in the front edge, it... dents the door skin as it's a slightly longer bolt. lol

Actually 3 different bolts on the door skin.

[​IMG]

Pic shows Golf plus? Once you get the door skin off it's not too bad to work in there.

Same as mk5 anyway..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  13. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

The first time I looked at a locking prob on a mk5 I took the door panel off (as you would expect you need to) only to discover its all one piece of metal behind! Through me right out lol

14. GVK

You wouldn't be the first or last to do that, luckily I was warned about the different length bolts before I took it apart.

15. Gticrazy New Member

I'm just going through the same with my edition 30 08 full Vw service history both wings at little bit on sill original paint,I've been to Vw stoke they said they will pay 75% and I pay rest but I've been on to Vw uk today and told them that a lot of members on here have had full job done at Vw cost so why would it be any difference for me,Ive been told today they will get back to me this week so hopefully it will get sorted.

16. Rayhoop Paid Member Paid Member

Well I had a voicemail yesterday from my local dealership (CityGate Little Chalfont) saying they were calling regarding the warranty claim... I prepared my arguement in my head before calling back... only to have the bodyshop manager say "front wing and sill will be covered 100% between VW and ourselves, including any paint blending"... however he did recommend the door strip/moulding is replaced rather than reused, but I'd have to cover that cost... at 40 I thought it would be silly to argue.

However the rust around the boot badge was not included in the warranty claim they submitted. I politely argued the point and they said they will submit the details to VW when the car comes in for the wing/sill etc - or if he finds a TSB regarding rust around the rear badge then that should cover it.

So.. its booked in for 27th March, and I get to use a VW Up! for a week :-)

17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

:thumbup:

18. GAD

gad Forum Member

This is great news, I need to chase this up with VW in Ruislip for our MK5

Dav

19. Gticrazy New Member

Had my car back today from vw stoke and all i can say is the manager is the biggest d""k ive ever come across ,I will never take my car to such incompetent know it alls again ,only reason i didn't pay for any of it is cus he could see i wasn't happy and he just wanted me out of the place,it was down for 2 wings replaced and sill repaired it come back with 2new wings but sill not touched ,manager said he never said sill would be fixed then tried to say i was not telling truth,why would i do that ,anyhow wont cost me much to get done so I'm going to a good body shop i know to get it sorted ,has for vw never go to main dealers again customer service shocking at stoke.