GTI MK5 Tested by me and TSR today.

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by ianb, Dec 16, 2004.

1. ianb Forum Member

Took a Red MK5 GTI out today from main stealer Irvines at Bridgwater... on my own too.
    Straight round to TSR and my myself and Neal had some fun.
    To sum things up in general the car is fab akll round.It handles superbly (like a Focus) the engine has a nice lag free response and is strong thru to 6k and the brakes are very strong

Out of the box this is one excellent car...you would not want to change the handling as it's too well sorted...there's little roll and it's well controlled.
    It's sits nicely if a little to high for some although the 18 inch upgrade would be better.

The interior is well screwed together.....the one we tested had full leather 6 CD player centre arm rest blue tooth MP3 player. It also features a tyre pressure check sysyem which flashes up on the dash...button next to the ESP in the centre.

Comparing it to my MK2 which has 200 bhp the MK5 is better for several reasons. Firstly it handles better and it's power to weight is better than models of old.I reckon it would be nearly if not as quick as my MK2 around Coombe.The brakes and handling would make up for a shortfall in grunt......until you chip it of course.
    Our MKIV which has 230-240 is good and is quicker than the MK5 still looks fresh with the bit's I've added but the stealer won't give much for it.
    A midly modded MKIV is as good if not better in some areas...interior quality for one.Initial power on chipped MKIV's is better..but only marginal.The new FST turbo unit is smoother less lag and the gearbox has a better feel.

I will be putting an order in soon.......when the Recaro's become an option and hopfully the wheel design changes......I hate the black plastic on the rear bumper.Perhaps black would look good.The back end of the car is a dissapointment compared to the front of the car IMO.

The trouble is to spend 19,995 on a new base model then spend money on wheels chip lowering kit paint on rear bumper metallic paint 6 CD player makes the car into a 25K + car.....ouch

Makes our 230bhp VVTI MKIV with BBS CH APR/Milltek zorst Oettinger front end and Koni ride height look like a bargain. Dealer will only offer trade money.....doh

Ian

2. rjscotty Forum Member

love look of the mkV might book a test drive

3. Lord0pants Forum Member

Ian!
    The other option is to do what i do and wait 15 years for it to come into your price range! ;)

Seriously though... not a bad piece of kit!

Alex

4. ianb Forum Member

Alex

I know what you mean...I expect lots will be company cars.The stealer says there will be limited numbers........but they said that on the MKIV....VW just want to sell cars....give it a year and there will be loads around

...on finance ;)

Ian

5. Lord0pants Forum Member

Damn right.....
    Who can blame them though? Money needs to be made!
    Ain't they releasing an R32 MKV or did i make that up?- Perhaps that will be a little rarer...........and hellishly more expensive!

6. Jetta Forum Junkie

Rumour has it the MK 5 will be a R34

7. ianb Forum Member

Correct R34 being released summer 2005.....loads of wonga

Banks and finance houses will be loving it

Ian

8. Lord0pants Forum Member

Bloody hell...
    3.4 litres?
    URG!

9. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

10. Jetta Forum Junkie

Can VW call it an R34? as Nissan already make a R34 Skyline? or would it be like loads of companys make GTI's?

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Didnt stop them making an R32, as theres an R32 Skyline too.

12. Jetta Forum Junkie

Ahh didnt know that, only knew there was a R34 when I did a Google search [:$]

13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

And an R33! :)

14. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

These newer cars are really getting good now. They can carry sooo much pace into bends its unbeleivable! Wet weather performance is soo much better too. Dated chassis design is started to be exploited by newer cars. A mildy sorted mk4 can easily outpace most older cars.

15. Lord0pants Forum Member

bloooy hell- the day a standard mk IV can eat my mk.2 in the wet or not is the day I spend serious to rectify the situation... Finding 4x4 running gear will prove tricky!

Alex

(Nothing personal, just not a mk.IV fan)

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Just hope you don't encounter an R32 on the road then matey :lol:

17. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I wanna encounter another one [:D]

18. GVK

Can be arranged, I'm sure :lol:

19. Lord0pants Forum Member

Oh- R32, i'd have no complaints- i was referring to the majority of MkIV's..... your average one- hell, I don't like Mk.IV's but their aint many people who wouldnt take an R32!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alex

20. GVK

If I'm a good boy I get to drive one [:^:]