Guide for 1.8T engine into vw golf mk3?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by faigolfgti, Feb 19, 2010.

1. faigolfgti Forum Member

Please help what is the parts and guide for vw golf mk4 1.8T engine and gear box to be transplan into vw golf mk3 body?
    Thank You.

2. gtidriver Forum Member

Buy a mk 4 and save urself the headache

3. Ian D Forum Member

Well that was helpful!

4. gtidriver Forum Member

I like 2 be of service

5. tminty83 New Member

Have been looking into this a little, my dream conversion and agu's and bam's are becoming more and more available as they get older!!

Believe you need :

complete engine + the loom wouldn't do any harm

box - sure the subframe needs an extra mout welding in as the 6 speeders have an extra mount

I believe you can buy a modified loom kit (called something like a qpueg?? )And that'll convert the mk3 loom to run a mk4 engine management.

Then all kinds of bracketry for stuff like intercoolers

??? Have been trying to find as much as I can so anyone like to add/correct me??

Troy - my other dream conversion would be a PD engine but that even harder apparently!!??

6. LazyLunatic Forum Member

give me a message with any questions and i will give you as much help and info as you need. I've been there and i probably hit every problem along the way. check out my build thread over on golfgtiforum.co.uk, thats got all the info and pics of me doing the conversion :)

Also got my spec listed in my build thread on here in the members gallery

As for the above.
    -engine and loom and run an MBE 992 ECU (see QPeng.com)
    -run an 02a box from a 2.0 16v or g60
    -you can use the mk3 golf 16v engine bracket mounts
    -intercooler and stuff is easy to mount

like i said, give me a shout :)

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Only if there's no AC involved ;)

8. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Not quite...

As Lazy says, Quantum Performance Engineering (www.qpeng.com) will supply you a standalone ECU.

You get rid of your Mk3 ECU, and use the Qpeng one along with the Mk4 engine loom.

:thumbup:

9. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

800 quid!!!!

I'd rather "modify" my own loom and just get the securety bypassed by a good tuner.
    that'll save lodsa dolla to buy/make a down pipe, exhaust system, filters cooler etc etc etc.

DIY is the new BUY :lol:

Check out 20v_jimmy thread! :clap:

10. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

anyone know where to get a cheap down pipe conversion from for the 1.8t to mk3/2 golf? quantom do one for around 200... thats lame though lol

11. LazyLunatic Forum Member

their downpipes are nice bits of kit! awesome welds and perfect fit! oh they are the right length to pair up to your exhaust, if you run decat.

Oh and yeah qpeng is expensive but if you dont know what your doing, its the ideal solution! and for what you get the price isnt that bad!

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Yep, and you can get the DIY kit from them for 200 less...

13. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

or actually DIY it for 850 less?? seems the better option [:D] i'll go for the zorst though i think as tey're having a 20% discount [:D]

do i need the discount or does it meet up to the standard system?? not that i have a propper system to speak of?? want a miltek

14. LazyLunatic Forum Member

it will meet up. there enough length to do it. only problem being its 2.5" and can be hard getting an adaptor to join it to your exhaust. i had a special bit of pipe made with a 2.5" ID to jon to my 2.5" jetex system.

15. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

http://www.qpeng.com/component/page...ategory_id,6/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,75/

That any good?? 2.5" is pretty standard for a 1.8t DP but as for the GTI/VR6 mk3 exhausts i'm not really aware of the sizes... its going to be interesting doing this conversion but i'm hoping to have as much as possible together ready. might do the loom etc first too as it'll hopefully be easier to do it off the car?? mechanically it all seems pretty straight forward...

its just some of the electrics that are currently an enigma to me.

well mostly just the loom. are all the petrol fuel tanks the same?? that reminds me... i'm going to need a fuel pump as i teke it the 1.4 pump isnt man enough... come to think of it... is it mechanical??? (YET MORE WORK AHEAD)

16. LazyLunatic Forum Member

petrol tank is same. get a vr in tank pump and swap that over. mechanically its easy, well on paper!! didnt work out that way for me [:D]

17. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

they in tank or is there a seperate lift/highpressure pump? Glad thats the same. its the first thing thats not going to eb hard work lol. [8(]

So far i have:
    Mk3 16v box + cables etc
    ABF flywheel
    Mk3 ABF mounts (making up some solid bush's for them)
    subframe - dont really need it but wanted one to powder coat + polly bushs
    VR6 washbones (again power coated) with new joints/pollys
    VR6 hubs (yet again powdercoated) + new bearings etc
    GTI pedalbox with all cables etc
    VR6 servo/master (painted up)
    VR6 radiator
    VR6 antiroll (although i'll prob go for eibach before fitting)
    and thats about my lot at the moment

Just need a VR6 fuel pump/lines
    VR6/GTI drive shafts
    AGU 1.8t/mk3 GTi loom and clocks to fettle
    ABF starter and af course an AGU 20vt lump and ko3s hybrid...

decided against the fbw aproach although my friends at Revo say its better because of the requested values of something and somethign else technical?? [:-B]

but then as i'm doing the work and wiring etc i want to keep it fairly simple :)

What else is missing off that list??? -- Ah intercooler :) anyhting else??? [:s]

18. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

Conversion down pipe (166+ vat extortion) might make one of those too if i can lay my hands on a collector lol

19. LazyLunatic Forum Member

would use your current pedal box and convert to cable clutch.

mine was a 1400 before and i just replaced the whole in tank pump for a vr one and its been perfectly fine. no need to replace the lines. servo's are the same across the range, but a 22mm master cylinder off a gti is needed, and just swap your fluid bottle over if your not running a hydro clutch.

mk3 gti 8v throttle body. bolts straight onto the 20vt inlet. then you just need to figure out how your going to get the cable sitting/tensioned in the right place so it does what its supposed to do. (this was a very hard job for me, took a while to get it right)

intercooler, anything that will fit!

there will be much more to add to the list during the conversion!

i would add all new genuine ball joints and like your doing already, polybush the lot :)

20. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

ah spot on with the tB idea :) as for the cable bracket i'll break out hte welder etc? got a spare inlet to so i can match the TB to the inlet and polish it up :) what acell cable did you use?? 1.4 or 1.8?? yeah i could use a cable clutch i guess?? got all the hydro stuff bar the actuall lines though??

As for the engine mounts.. i was thinking of just making solid alloy ones? we'llsee. could always machine up some polly??