Gutted mk1 little dink

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by studentlife, Mar 16, 2007.

1. studentlife Forum Member

Hey i jus had a little bump today on my way to work :(

not sure how it happened managed to plow into the side of a MG zt i think poor guy only had it a couple of months.

thing is i need a standard exhaust system quick time. recently put a new stainless system on n never got round to declaring it boy do i wish i wasnt a lazy **** now!! im gona try the scrappy tomorro morn but if neone else that has something from manifold to back box id be sooo grateful its not gona b fun tryin to get the stainless one off.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u69/dub-wise/DSC01086333333.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u69/dub-wise/DSC01087.jpg

what an end to a really crap week

thanks guys

2. Collie Forum Junkie

gutted. have you also declared those wheels.

3. studentlife Forum Member

no i hadnt but i hav the standard ones still luckily!!! they'll be on tomorro morning

dont think il be putting things off ever again hope its not a to harder of a lesson to learn :(

Last edited: Mar 16, 2007
  4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

[8(] Bummer!!

5. Admin Guest

ouch

6. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Trying insuring through Brentacre. You can do any mods without loading the premium as long as you don`t go over a certain agreed power. Means you can have a mint looking car that`s cheap to insure before sticking big power in it! :thumbup:

8. studentlife Forum Member

i had some good news this morning - a phone call from mr mg and he doesnt want to go through insurance. his words were "you fix your car il fix mine" what are the chances of that??!!

There must be something wrong his end, unless he's a very nice guy any how good news for me!!

at a first glance looks like i need a new wing, bumper, offside indicator, front offside arch strip, maybe a bonnet the corner is a little bashed. but i havent looked underneath yet, rac man said doesnt look like nething structural!! gota find my gears too, i cant get first and reverse

9. stanstorey Forum Member

Stroke of luck that! something must be amiss if the ZT is as damaged as yours and doesn't want to claim....cost him a fortune to repair, surely?!

10. studentlife Forum Member

yeh thats wot i thought maybe he doesnt hav insurance or something because he hasnt given me his policy number yet.

i think it must be alot to fix, i gave him a good smack, rear door/b pillar took most of it then some nice scrape down his front door too, sills didnt look too healthy either. he also said it was steering a bit funny. he said his excess was 300 and it wouldnt cost that to repair it

so something isnt right. well his loss i guess just gona concentrate on getting the mk1 sorted. does ne1 sell front bumpers?

11. thegolfman Forum Member

If you think he isn't insured isn't it worth persueing it?
    Surely something must be up for him not to want to claim

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

No point in pursuing it really. As Studentlife says, it was his fault, so he would be affecting his premium unnecessarily, and doing the other guy a favour.
    We all hate uninsured drivers, cos if they hit us we`re f**ked, but sometimes it can be a blessing if you hit them, as in this case! ;)

13. studentlife Forum Member

14. tt509 Forum Member

15. golfmanuk Forum Member

16. The db

The db Forum Junkie

New wing
    New arch kit for damamged side
    New bonnet
    New slam panel?
    New lights
    New grille?

And thats if nothing structually is bent. You may find the chassis leg is a bit bent, but if its not too bad then thats something that can be repaired. May need some of that main panel wall in the engine bay beating back too.

Very strange the guy not claiming, or asking you to pay cash though.

17. studentlife Forum Member

thanks for the replies espeically golfmanuk really appreciate that.

right i have a new wing and bonnet now sourcing a new front end. grill isnt too bad the headlight holder is dead but the rest is alright theres a bit broken off the top where the clip goes but il how it all looks wen the body work is done.

luckily my headlight survived not even a crack waheeeey!!!

need to source the arch kit, is there anyone that sells them individually dont really wona buy a whole new set. oh and the bumper i found a site that makes new ones has anyone had any experience with these

http://www.everycarpart.co.uk/modern/product_info.php?products_id=8559

well today is the day im gona start taking everything off, and seeing if that suspension mount has moved im praying its not!!! also my gf's is clearing out his garage to c if the golf will fit in to work on it this week is gona be alot better than the last.

watch this space....

18. Admin Guest

i'd want it in writing from the other guy that he doesn't want to claim/go through the insurance,

just in case some time down the line he does decide to contact his insurance with your details, you have some come back to him.

i had an odd one when i had a letter from my insurance company telling me about a claim against me. thankfully after some searching about (stressful as it was as i know i hadn't hit this person or been in the area that it had occured) it was cleared up, case of mistaken identity!

and to be sure with your mk1, go get a quote from a good body shop you trust to see if the front end does or doesn't need jigging. panels are easy to source.

19. studentlife Forum Member

hmm thats interesting!! i think i shall get in contact with him

that sounds like a good idea about the body shop, tbh there isnt any round here i trust but my gf's uncle works for snap-on il ask him for a recommendation.

i had i measure up on the suspension mounts and is looks fine. the panel gap between the wing and drivers door has pretty much closed but you can see from the bolt markings on the wing that the wing has moved not any important bits underneath :>

20. Admin Guest

that or your insurers, not mentioning of course the finer details of what has happened, but a "what if" case,

ask them for advice on having a knock and not going through the insurance company and the come backs it might possibly create.