Has anyone bought one of these steering wheel bosses?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Gazzmondo, Oct 26, 2023.

1. Gazzmondo

Gazzmondo Paid Member Paid Member

So I've bought a 300mm Momo Team off eBay.
    It doesn't come with a boss, so I'll need to buy one.
    Do I buy the official Momo Boss or I've found one on eBay but I'm not sure if they're any good? Seems to be a lot cheaper than the Momo Boss.
    I'll also need to find out if mine is small or large spline as it's an 1989, but I'll do that when I get the steering wheel off.
    Thanks!

Screenshot 2023-10-26 at 15.44.26.png

2. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

89 will more than likely be large.

How much more expensive is momo boss, I've read some stories about aftermarket ones generally being shit, holes out of tolerance, face not quite flat, indicators not cancelling

3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Genuine boss will be made in such a way that it'll collapse in the event of an impact... all relative of course as you're putting it into an old car with next to no other safety features, but a small improvement on what looks to be a unyielding solid, cast item from the images.

4. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I was going to say that but I'm sure the metal momo centre would mangle one's face before the boss even compressed

daNpy likes this.
  5. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Look at a proper boss, beneath it's outer cover. There's spokes that're fashioned in such a way as to yield under force.

If the impact is one where you're hitting the wheel with your face, thing's will have gone way beyond what the boss can counter.

It collapsing is effective during lesser collisions and may help save your wrists being broken.

6. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I know how they work, I was being facetious.

I think we can agree that you get wt what you pay for with things like these, if not from a safety perspective, certainly from a hassle free fitment and function perspective.

7. watercooled Forum Member

Be aware there are pirate Momo copies around ,they come in a poorly made copy box but have no fitting instructions ,they are rubbish ...ask me how I know, the US ebay seller got somewhat nasty when I pointed out all its faults .
    Took me some time to get the horn contact/switch cancel reclocked and dremel out the wiring hole to suit,the shaft spline was very tight on the hub which was another PITA.
    The one is in the pic is a generic copy made in china ,used one in my 89 Golf and it was fine .
    Good luck.

8. Gazzmondo

Gazzmondo Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks fellas.
    I'll go with the genuine Momo boss.
    Just wanted to get your thoughts on it.
    :thumbup:

9. daNpy Forum Member

Well if you're that strong you can push the steering wheel boss in during an impact you don't have to worry about your wrists. It's more about the steering column not penetrating the upper body. Your thumbs will go anyway though, that's why rally car driver usually don't have their thumbs inside the steering wheel.