Having to slam rear hatch to shut it??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Alpenweiss2, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

For a while now I have had to really slam the rear hatch on my Mk2 gti to get it to shut. I have tried playing around with moving both the lock/catch unit on the hatch and also the striker pin in the middle of the hatch aperture? This helped for a while but the problem has come back again and I now have to really slam the hatch several times before it holds shut??

I have even swapped the catch unit with one from another car?

Any ideas? The hatch on my girlfriends MK2 gti shuts perfectly everytime without slamming??!:lol:

Cheers Alpenweiss2:)

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

stricker pin must need ajusting

3. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

Hi Rubjonny!

Hi have tried moving it and setting it the same as on my girfriends car. Initally it is fine after adjustment but after a few slams goes again?? It must be moving?

Cheers Alpenweiss2

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

thing is its taylored to fit your car , it wont nesseraily be in the same position

trial and error im affraid ...try and eyeball it and see where it needs to be to meet the catch

slamming would suggest is needs to come upwards a bit

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

either you are seeing things or you can look into the future :lol:
    check the pin isnt moving, perhaps the bolts arnt tightening right. also, see the 2 rubber buffers, try screwing them in a touch. cant remember if theyre on the car or the tailgate, pretty sure they're on the tailgate.

last of all, check the lock catch itself, give it a good spray with penatrating oil, work the lock mech a bit then clean it all up and regrease.