Hazard problem

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by mk2 nas, Oct 8, 2022.

1. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

As above my hazards stopped but indicators work ok but do flash quicker then they should I think.
    Long story short.swapped switch and still the same.relay is new also.
    Jumped a wire strait from battery to red and white wire to hazards and works no problem.
    Tested r/w wire on hazard plug supposed to be perm live and is reading 4 volts.
    So next step check red /white at fuse board
    And fuse/connectors.
    And check earths also on crown ring.
    Anyone else had this issue?
    Also indicator icon on dash is always slightly illuminated.
    Any comments.
    1982 golf gli
    Old fuse board 15 fuse(bullet type)

Apart from that 7 years and no issues.
    Since major resto.
    Added some pics to make a bit more interesting lol.

Attached Files:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

fuse 6 for the hazards on the ceramic fusebox, also does the brake lights so check those too

flashing speed is set by the load form the bulbs on the relay, they should all be 21w

mk2 nas likes this.
  3. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks I’ve sorted the hazards now the permanent live pin and blue plug had a bit of soot on connector.
    Must have got hot or something I checked fuses also and most of them were wrong.
    Seems a previous owner just banged in whatever fuse they had at the time now they are all correct.
    Luckily I could re-do the contact on the blue plug not easy laying upside down in the footwell with the passenger seat removed.I’m guessing a lower than 21w bulb or a duff
    Bulb is less draw and speeds up the relay?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2022
  4. rubjonny

exactly that, lower the draw the faster the flash, this is why it flashes extra fast with a duff bulb :)

mk2 nas likes this.
  5. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Another small electrical issue but getting used to it after all its 40 years old and can be excused…
    Drivers side headlight dipped beam is intermittent.i think this is the solid yellow wire going to white fuse board plug can you confirm.I think I may have another dodgy pin connector I’m gonna start here as I’m sure I’ve changed everything else dash switch etc.
    These pin connectors are quite temperamental.or is it just my car lol.

6. rubjonny

yes the dipped beam wires are the yellow and yellow/black, if the main beam is ok then the earth is good. if its only 1 side the headlight and flasher switches arent to blame as its a single wire which does both lights it splits at the fusebox to 2 fuses then 2 wires off to the lights

might be an idea to get yourself a relay loom kit to take all the load off the fusebox and switches while you're at it, but obv you need the wiring to be good enough to trigger the relays :lol:

in case you havent seen it yet:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/fusebox-faq.219775/

mk2 nas likes this.
  7. mk2 nas Paid Member Paid Member

Ok thanks may look into that at a later date
    The high beam is fine,as you say the wire splits to two fuses now I’m more certain it’s got to be in the pin & plug.dealt with a few of these pins since owning car they not the best set up.but will have to do for now as long as everything works good enough for now.
    Put multimeter onto yellow wire(with headlights switched on)and low or no reading
    Drive down crappy road and it comes to life
    Sometimes.

8. rubjonny

yep got to be a loose connection somewhere, possibly w ire fracture. one time I had issues and it turned out the copper had turned to actual dust for around an inch under the insulation. from the outside it looked fine...