HD TV's, need a good deal. Anyone know of any?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Aphex, Dec 12, 2007.

1. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

I got ps3 and 42" hdi telly for 999 from toysRus....not sure if deal is still there

2. andypaterson Forum Member

3. lufbramatt Forum Member

i think contrast ratio is like speaker manufacturers giving sensitivity figures for speakers, and car makes giving MPG stats. Most of the TV's use the same panels anyway. Best bet is to go and look at the TV's (from a few meters away) and decide what ones best from what you see.

Only trouble with that is they are never set up properly, they all have the contrast+backlights turned right up to give the image more "pop" in a bright store, but in reality they ALL look better with everything turned down a bit (especially the sharpness, doesnt make it sharper just puts white halos round everything), much more natural skin tones and no horrible overblown highlights.

BTW Ambrose i agree that John Lewis do good deals, we bought our 32" sony there earlier in the year ;)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2007
  4. MarcN Forum Member

I'm a broadcast engineer by trade.
    I see a lot of people wasting their money on HD ready T.V's, so here are some facts to help you decide on your purchase.

780, 1080 etc refers to the amount of lines the picture is made of. The higher the number the better the quality, simple. The number is followed by either a P or an I. P is for Passive, I is for Interlaced.
    Interlaced means that in effect you actually only get half of the lines at any one time as this is how the picture is made up. So for example a 1080I screen is far inferior to a 1080P screen.

The other important factor that is very often overlooked is the size of the screen that you buy. In this case bigger is not always better. If the screen is too big, you will actually be able to notice the picture lines. There is a simple formula for this:

• Standard Definition 4:3 TV (576 Lines UK, 480 Lines USA)

Optimum seating distance of 7 times screen height.

• High Definition 16:9 TV (1080 Lines UK, 720/1080 Lines USA)

• Optimum seating distance of 3 times screen height

So the best way to actually decide what size screen is to measure the distance between where you TV will be, and where you will sit. Divide this by 3, this is then the optimum height of HD TV screen you should purchase for the best possible picture quality.

Hope this helps.

5. superden Forum Addict

Dixons are currently doing an online offer, an LG 32" TV for 409, plus 5% discount so its 389.48 delivered.

6. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

i notice that my new 42" picture on freeview is worse than my 10 year old 100hz tosh
    telly.
    superb on some progs like Robin Hood....must be shot in high def.
    and the best pic on std dvd....very good on bluray

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

8. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

9. beetie

beetie Forum Member

job done.

looking for one myself and found this great little site[:D] :thumbup:
    http://www.lcd-tv-prices.co.uk/

can't find any cheaper than the ones on there

personally going to wait for january sales as they might be a bit cheaper. i'm thinking of the 40" samsung 1080p

HTH

10. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

if you're hooking upto a ps3, i found some stuff on avforums about 24hz? and some tv's can't process ps3 signals properly, or as good as they can be, i'm not entirely sure. i tihnk an update on the ps3 allows 1080p to broadcast at 24hz, so your t.v needs to support a frequency which divides by 24..........

some of the best lcd's which is what you want as finding a plasma which is 1080p is pretty damn difficult are the 2 40" ers, sony one gets good reviews i think....

11. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Wont 1080 be out of date by the time they switch to digital? I bet it will be 2160 in a couple of years.

12. nealey Forum Junkie

I had a bloke in the petrol station ask me if i wanted to buy a HD tv the other day, said he would do me a good deal. i said no, the voice in my head told me to ask him for a dag but he looked like he would bite my nose off if i got on the wrong side of him so left that one alone

*that had no importance to this thread but at least it was related!

13. pRot3us Forum Junkie

14. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm lost with all these TV's. There is too much choise.