head bolts

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by emery1990, Jun 21, 2010.

1. emery1990 Forum Member

I needs some head bolts for when i swap my manifold. How do the head bolts from the likes of ecp differ from just ordinary bolts. what size are they and are they stronger than normal bolts? Do you need 10 of them

2. neil kaye Forum Junkie

what mk2 have you got and why do you need head bolts to swap the manifold

3. emery1990 Forum Member

ive got a 16v gti. I dont need them ive just read that people advise on getting new head bolts, just incase you snap some of the old ones. Im getting a new exhaust gasket too as that what ive read aswell., and going to make sure its flush with the ports.

should i just keep my old gasket and bolts then?

4. tomsdubs Forum Member

I still don't see why you need new headbolts? If your head gasket is fine and the engine is mechanically sound don't even bother.

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

what exactly do you want to know ,in post 1 you say "i need new head bolts",post 3 "i dont need them"
    are you doing the head gasket? if so yes you need new bolts as they are stretch bolts,you can (but not advisable) use the old ones, as you say they can snap,new ones arent that expensive and gsf ones are fine,not sure on ecp
    replace exhaust manifold gaskets and inlets too,and if you are doing head gasket id replace the cam belt too and maybe even the tensioner

6. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Do you mean the manifold studs? IE The screwed part that holds the manifold on to the head. They have been known to snap!

If a manifold studs do sometimes snap, then you may need to remove the Head to get the broken part out!

Firstly. Soak the nuts on the manifold with penatrating oil. Not WD40. Plusgaz or similar. Plusgaz is the beat if you can get it. Do this for a few days before trying to remove the nuts.
    Check the size of the nut. These nuts corrode badly, and sometimes you need to use the next size down socket. Don't know what size the nuts are. I seem to have collected both 11mm and 12mm and 13mm across flats from various VWs and Audis over the years.

If you need to take the head off, USE NEW BOLTS, when you put it back. And torque them up properly.

The exhaust studs often corrode, the same as the nuts. If corroded you may need to put in new studs. Certainly buy new nuts. Make sure they are proper exhaust manifold nuts. Often copper plated or brass.

If you are only doing this to ensure that the gasket is perfect to the head. Don't bother. If it's not leaking, leave well alone. Unless you know what you are doing!

7. emery1990 Forum Member

Wasnt exactly clear in my first post, im swapping my exhaust manifold for a 4-1 manifold as mine is currently cracked. Well everywhere ive looked theyve been called head bolts, havnt seen anything which says exhaust manifold bolts etc, so yer i need them, i didnt say i didnt need them in post 3 either.

So yes the manifold studs is what i need. I'm hopefully not touching my head, but will do when my rocker cover seal comes, so ill need new bolts for that then you say.

Just looked on gsf and cant find anything about manifold studs or even head bolts same on ecp aswell.

8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I'd get a set because some of the buggers like to sheer, might aswell renew them if you can.

If taking the head off always renew head bolts.

9. emery1990 Forum Member

Well been put off fitting the 4-1 now anyway lol toyo tech saying no real gains found unless having a highly modded engine. anyone else fitted one and felt gains, i thought they increase torque mid range.

10. neil kaye Forum Junkie

yes you did :lol:
    anyhow gsf do them,just ask them their 93p each,something like that and the nuts are 30p ish

11. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Not unless you intend to take the head off to do it.

Headbolts are for bolting the head to the block.

Exhaust studs are for exhaust manifolds.

Other bolts are just bolts of various sizes.

12. emery1990 Forum Member

yer i was being thick then, if i take off the rocker cover does that expose me to the cams, as ive got to check if i have fast road cams or not, mechanic said i had. But i think he was just presuming as the it was spluttering when the idle was turned down