Head unitless systems!

Discussion in 'ICE' started by shaz8389, Apr 30, 2009.

1. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

It will be a better sound quality however whether you control the volume or not is dependent on which iPod you have.

2. TROUBLESTARTER Forum Member

i am currently doing a major iphone based system in an old splittie
    i have removed the ash tray from the centre of the dash and made a custom pod for the iphone
    this is connected to a pc7-ipod01 a/v lead wgich also charges the iphone when the engine is running the audio from this is connected to an line amplifier level controller pc1-150
    this is to compensate for the fact that when the ipod lead is connected you lose the volume control function on the i phone so this works as a volume control
    this is connected to an eq to give me 3 rca outputs and then connects to a 6 channel amp running fronts rears and sub
    the video out from the iphone is running to a 9" roof mounted touch screen which also has a laptop connected via the vga lead
    here are a couple of pics for you to look at
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. James_mk2 Forum Member

I've only got a 2nd (or possibly 3rd) generation Nano, it's this one;
    [​IMG]

4. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Have you got a docking station at home? If you have then plug it in and try and adjust the volume, I think all click wheel models can and it's just the Touch that can't, I had to do some fun stuff on mine to control volume.

Amp > RCA Front/Rear to 3.5mm > Headphone Splitter > Line In Volume controller > iPod Dock > Dock extender cable (ebay one) > iPod Touch

5. penny71 Forum Member

There's lots of well priced stuff here -

http://www.tait-components.com

cheaper then Maplins if it helps anyone.

4.95. delivery. good for A/V and PC

I buy alot from them through work - a good bunch of staff

6. GarethMK2VR6

GarethMK2VR6 Forum Member

Theres a docking station on ebay that has a remote, for the i touch. That should get around the volume problem. It only 12

7. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Hope that works, I had to get a line-in volume control from Maplin for 6 quid, does the job though.

8. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

have you got a link to it

has nyone got any ideas where i could obtain the following- i'm after an iphone dock (which i think has the same physical interface as the touch) which charges with 12v, RCA out, a remote, and a mic for calls as i don't have a dash and it won't be practical to press buttons.

am i asking for to much :lol:

9. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I've got mine all in and working now with the hong kong amp, some **** wire, charging via a usb and sound via the 99p jack cable. It sounds quite good and has a permanent live to a little hidden switch.

I'm struggling to decide where to put the cables and i-pod itself.

Are there any good cables (in black) that are cheap and will power it and do the sound? I got one of the 8 from America but it doesn't charge it and its been about 9 months since i bought it.

EDIT:

I might as well keep up with the crap stuff so I just bought one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-iPod-iPhone-USB-Video-RCA-Cable-Cord-Component-AV-/280491581701?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item414e99e105

Bargain!!

EDIT again:

I think i've ballsed it up, mines a 5v one so it wont charge it. DOH!!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  11. 1990

I've now gone even more basic after finding one of my kids gave me a tiny ipod shuffle. Must be the smallest car radio in the world ever!!

Any idea how long the battery will last?

12. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Thread resurrection!

I've updated mine a bit and might be able to help you out with what I'm running. Not sure if the Shuffle will work in the same way at all. Mine goes in the following order at the moment:

iPod Touch

iPod dock extension cable (which is running into a dash black, the iPod sits there)

iPod dock which is being supplied power via 12v through it's power socket. (bought this from Currys I think, the iWantit branded ones)

Line out via Maplin volume controller (currently making one with a potentiometer.

RCA to amp.

Amp running a nice pair of MTX front speakers and has a piggy back for the sub/amp in the rear.

Pics to come soon.

13. thegave Forum Member

I'm surprised those tiny Hong Kong amps are any good

14. 1990

Its good for me but i'd imagine most people would think it was crap.

15. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I used one for a bit while waiting for my amp to come back for a warranty repair, it wasn't terrible but was pretty weak to be fair. Not bad for 8 quid though.