( headlights )

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by shakey021, Apr 24, 2006.

1. shakey021 New Member

didnt find my answer on search,

but i have an 87 gti, 16v, and it has the squareish headlights, i was wondering if it was easy to enterchange to the circle lights ??? i saw this piece of ebay that had the mounted 2 cirlce lights but i wasnt sure if it was enterchangable from sqaure to cirlces... as i am new to the vw scean

thank you please no putdowns for lack of knowledge thanks

2. benthejettaman Forum Member

u need the grill lights and front panel to do this mod but its fairly easiy just need 10 and 17 mm sockets for the job

3. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

whats the 17 for?!

4. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

To take the front bumper off?

5. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

BTW Shakey if your prepared to travel to Leeds I have everything you need for cheap as I need the space

6. pigbladder Forum Addict

you can leave the bumper on..

7. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I normally take it off as undoing the 2 x 10mm nuts under each headlight are tricky with the bumper in situ.

8. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

its more of a pain to take the bumper off i find...

9. pigbladder Forum Addict

yeah no way will i take the bumper off....use a extension and u/j or wobble end and a 10mm socket

10. shakey021 New Member

thank you guys for the help, to do this mod how much do u think its really going to cost...
    and actually all the pieces, if you can show pictures of what i really need ( parts whise ) not tools, that would be great thank you

i love this board no one really talks smack on here to eachother unlike other boards ( honda boards )

11. Dono Forum Member

you'd need your lights of course, you need headlights, you could go standard, or spruce em up with angel eyes, or cyrstals. prices vary from 2nd hand standard light from a scrappy arround 15 or crystals aroung 30-50

if you want you could have the smaller lights in the grill (spots) same kinda price 2nd hand and crystals around 40-50, not too sure if you can get them in angel eyes.

and finally youd need a grill. standard or debadged, your choise, around 10-25 depending where you get it from. most of the screws and glips you gould pull off the jetta's grill (square headlights grill)

hope this helps a lil.

12. shakey021 New Member

ok so you need headlights and grill basically

i have another question how do you tell if u have a mk2 or what not or is that just the gen mk2 ? like i said i am new to the vw scean trying to learn a little so people dont think im retarted when im trying to tell thems tuff

13. kirby Forum Junkie

And a front panel from a standard golf.

14. Dono Forum Member

im not 2 sure what you mean, al take a quess tho.

genuine VW parts will hav VW stampped on them somewhere.

and a golf has round lights. where as a jetta (golf with a boot) has the square ones.

KIRBY: when you say front panel, u mean the slam panel? i never knew that was different between the 2.

15. Dono Forum Member

yea your rite the front slam panel would have to be changed (39-49) this holds the headlights into place, holds the bonnet catch mech, and one bolt on the botton of the radiator i think, theres aleo 4 bolts on the top of the panel.

would make the job a little easier to take the bumper off to change that part, saves gettin your arm trapped.

16. Dono Forum Member

can usually tell by the shape of the body for what mark it is. plus the reg's help.

a mk1 is likeKirby's. notice he has a chrome beading strip down the side, most of the time there also also black. and the wings are slightly square when u look at em from front on.

a mk2, which you have has a groove down the side, and the body panels are slightly more curved.

a mk2 is more curved again with like an indent on the wings, the headlights are not round on these eather, but there are conversions you can buy.

then there is the mk4 quite a good shaped car, looks quite exsecutive and flashy, can be done up really well too.

and the newest one, the mk5 looks like a wedge of cheese and has a HUUUUUUUUGE hack bumper

17. shakey021 New Member

ok so i have an mk2 ? but i have the one with square headlights is that what im getting with a groove down the side and body panels are more smooth ?

reason i was asking becasue i seen the pictures on here of mk2 and they all have cirlce headlights i havent seen oen with square yet, and i was just wondering

18. Phil

Phil Forum Member

It's not a Rallye is it? [:D]

19. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

get yerself to a scrappy, a front panel, lights and grille should be about 20..

20. MK2_GUY Forum Member

If you have a rallye then ill do a swap for everythin u need for ur headlights etc and ill even do the work for ya :lol: