Headunit wiring help - pics inside

Discussion in 'ICE' started by Richie, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Richie New Member

Right since my old unit was stolen i decided to order a new pioneer mp3 unit.

I purchased a connector from halfords and am now trying to wire that up to the wires hanging from the car. Problem is im a little stuck on what the hell this huge black wire is, why ive only got one yellow wire (the connector has two) and the fact that my red wire splits into the yellow wire, and has some weird black + red thing (fuse?) within it. Anyway, heres the pics:

http://www.srms.eniki.net/richie/headunit/

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, The speak cables i can work out, its just these are a little strange.
    Edited by: Richie

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

cut of all them blue connectors...you can then check in the haynes what color does what..or use a test lamp
    i think its..brown=earthgrey/blue=illumination&nbs p;red=constant+
    it prob wont marry up to the new plug that well sinse golfs never had a ign switched wire as std

3. Richie New Member

ok right, so if the brown is the earth, that big black thing is something i dont need whatsoever?

and the one which splits into two i just cut off and wire red to red?

thanks so far dude

cant find sh*t in haynes either.

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

im pretty sure red will be 12+...but on jap head units the 12+ maybe yellow or orange ,so match it up according to the stereo hand book

but yeah all the crap out and take it from there

5. Richie New Member

hmm ok ta, im confused as hell so ill just leave it D:

6. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Right, here we go.

1. Connect the black wire from your new grey ISO plug to the brown wire from the car loom.

2. Twist the red and yellow wires from the new plug together and connect them to the red wire from the car loom.

Thats the power for your stereo sorted.

The blue wire from the new plug is for an amp or electric aerial, so connect that to the black wire from your bee sting if you have on. If not, just tape it out of the way.
    The orange wire from the new plug is ilumination, most new stereos don't need this. You can connect this to the blue/grey wire from the car loom for neatness.
    I can't remember what the yellow/white wire from the car does, but you don't need it connected.

I can't see enough of that big black thing to work out what it is.

Hope that helps.

7. Richie New Member

ok thats looking good, do i twist BOTH yellows and the single red from the NEW iso connector to meet the red wire from the car, or just one yellow and the red from the ISO connector?

8. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Sorry I forgot about the second yellow wire in the grey plug. Usually you only get one yellow wire.

You need to twist together the red wire and the yellow wire thats in line with the black wire if that makes sense!

Basically to don't need the yellow thats next to the blue wire.