Heated seat loom help needed

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Matt Golf, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Matt Golf Forum Member

Okay so I got a genuine loom, switch and pads, years ago.

As part of my refurb I am installing these into the Mk2.

I dont know whether my loom was doctored (see item 4) but I need help with the following:

1. Two blue/grey wires, they appear to join under some factory cloth tape. I reckon these are a plug for switch illumination to dash board illumination and a piggy back onwards. Am I right?

2. Two brown wires, are they both earths?

3. Two yellow/black wires - are these both ignition live or is one meant to be constant 12v and the other switched (ignition) live - but see below

4. Having taken off a bit of non factory looking insulation tape near those wires they appear to join together and also link up with a black wire that goes to a white vw connection plug. Is this joining up correct?

Grateful for any help so I can wire this correctly as VW intended.

Cheers

Matt

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. yep illumination
    2. earths
    3. ignition lives
    4. correct

if all you have is bare wires need to check it all over to see if you have anything missing, any idea what donor it all came from?

3. Matt Golf Forum Member

Not sure RJ but the control relays appear from the wiring to be the under seat variety. Here is a photo of the wiring at the switch end IMG_9392 (1).JPG

4. rubjonny

ok any pics of the loom ends fusebox side? if loom is from corrado it has 2 wires from ignition and illumination feed to fusebox, 2nd on each feed is a spare for any other options you may want to install

5. Matt Golf Forum Member

6. Matt Golf Forum Member

7. Matt Golf Forum Member

Thanks, hopefully the above images will make it clear

8. rubjonny

cool all good, the cut black/yellow would go to the fusebox D plug and the extra black/yellow plug is a spare as I say. same deal for the blue/grey, one is the dash illumination feed to fusebox and the extra plug is a spare

9. Matt Golf Forum Member

Thanks

So black/yellow into which socket at back of fuse box? Does the dash illumination have its own sockets at the back of the fuse box too?

10. Matt Golf Forum Member

Sorry, just saw, section D for the black/yellow. is that a switched live section? Is there a particular plug that it has to go into? Will I need an inline fuse or does the fuse in the front cover all items coming out of D

Apologies for all the questions!

11. rubjonny

D is your accessory plug yes, not all of them are ignition live but if you check my fusebox FAQ it lists what each pin is for and what type of feed it is in the 3rd column (if on a phone try turning it landscape to see it, or use a computer)

pin 8, 9 or 11 are your usual suspects anyway and one of them usually has a black wire with an empty plug housing fitted which takes a junior/power timer pin

12. Matt Golf Forum Member

Cheers, thats great will see what there is there. What fuse location/rating will protect the heated seats? I dont need to fit an inline one do I?

13. rubjonny

you can use D/9 which is fused for you :)

14. Matt Golf Forum Member

Cheers, getting that D plug out is a pig, Looks like many of the pins are already taken. Presume it goes 1 to 12 from top with 1 being on left, 2 to the right and 3 back to left under 1? Ill put a wire in and see if it goes live.
    Also the circuit tester glows very poorly at the heated pads even on setting 5 on the switch.
    By contrast when I found the illumination live it was glowing like Blackpool illuminations. Do I have a dodgy switch or does the wiring order at the switch plug not suit this switch?

15. rubjonny

first you need to click to lock tab on the right side out, then the plugs come out easy :)

the switch isnt wired direct to the pads it goes thru the control relays, that may be why the circuit tester isnt showing good power. plus the pads operate like a giant resistor