Heater blowing cold not hot - matrix cleanse and air flaps foam refurb guide

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by geneticmaterial, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Steve B Forum Junkie

you cant buy them, you will have to get an entire heater box, i had to do the same thing with mine, managed to get one on ebay cheap enough a few years ago.

worth looking to see if you can find a photo of it in the correct place to to make sure it all goes together correctrly

2. ryanwelshman New Member

Cheers, better get down the scrappy

3. Joehough

Joehough Paid Member Paid Member

Great guide thanks, it helped a great deal with mine, I needed a new matrix too, car is from Cyprus and I think has been run without anti freeze, so I expect matrix pipes are smallest size so probably sacrificially saved the rest of cooling system. I used table cloth protector from Dunelm mill and double sided tape from tool station for the flaps. It is lovely and warm now and warms up a lot quicker than my Hyundai i30 affectionately named "the appliance" golf is called Stelios by the way as it came with a Stels garage keyring.

4. watercooled Forum Member

Did one although not mk2 actually a real early mk3...much harder in those cars,heater was warm only,all the foam gone,didn't split the heater box but used high temp silver foil exhaust tape on the flaps with no foam,after at was back together it was really toasty warm but took a while for the adhesive smell to go away,great result.
    Matrix wasn't leaking but one plastic pipe badly rotted,had to buy a new matrix locally and payed dearly as I import all my VW spares and took a real hit on that part.
    I really don't see any need for the foam and others my disagree and fair cop as its not really that cold in winter here.

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the issue if you dont use foam on the flaps I found wasn't that the heater or direction flaps didn't work as well, it was the bloody annoying metal rattle noise constantly coming from the flaps unless they were set 'just so' lol

a stip of foam around where the flaps seat would do the job just as well, or perhaps thicker tape would have worked all I had to hand was thin alumium foil tape

6. Daniel schofield Forum Member

Used this guide last weekend. All done apart from I’ve dislodged an earth somewhere for the cluster. Guide was great help.

Attached Files: