heater control fascia?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Prax_88CAB, Oct 27, 2003.

1. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

i can't seem to locate the heater control fascia bulbs in my mk1, is it built into the fascia? Is this what i have to replace? how much are they roughly?

cheers

2. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

3. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Right, from memory there is only ONE bulb and it transmits light through opaque tinted plastic behind the fascia.

1. Take off the end bits of the three heater control levers.

2. Take off the fan speed knob.

3. Get a small screwdriver and lever off the fascia.

4. As you look at it, to the LEFT, there should be a multiplug to disconnect the fan switch and to the RIGHT you should clearly see the bulb housing.

5. The bulb should be in there with a brown wire and a grey/blue (?) wire. However, sometimes if the bulb wasn't placed in there properly it may have dropped inside the dash but it shouldn't be too far away.

I know from having had several MK1s that there at least two different types/sizes of bulb so if you haven't got one in there, take the bulb holder down to an auto shop and they'll find one for you.

4. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

thanx for your reply Mr Brown

I have taken off the fascia several times to reveal a multiplug switch on the left hand side for the heater speed. On the right hand side of the fascia there is a two pin plug which i have also taken off. Is it in this part that the bulb is housed? I ask this because once this plug is taken out of the fascia there is no bulb or housing. the plug is a female and connects to the fascia in male flat pins.

[:s] [:s]

5. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

***update****

just ordered the fascia panel from GPC and found out in
    the process that it is a sealed unit on the cabrio.

6. damogti Forum Junkie

Same with the Mk2 Golf ones, once the bulbs go you basically have to buy a new one as they are not supposed to be split.........

7. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

cheers thanx for the info .

just one more problem now with dashboard.....the handbrake light does not work....will have to investigate :( anyone got any pointers to wot it could be?? Bulb/Switch??

8. Rahul Forum Junkie

i wouldnt really worry about that as long as the handbrake works!

9. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

I understand where u coming from mate....but i like everything to work in the car even bulbs that are not neccessary...just the way i am [8D]

has anyone got any ideas? I tested the wiring behind the bulb holder and there was no 12v when tested with a test lamp. The fuses are all ok....have i missed something? I'm not too well up on cars...so i'm in the process of learning.

thanx in advance

10. alanbe2 Paid Member Paid Member

The switch for the handbrake can get all mucked up because of it position. Have a look under the front of the handbrake handle and you should be able to see it.

Probably find it's jammed up and needs a little freeing with some WD40.

Al

11. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

cheers Alanbe2....will have another try with it using your suggestions.

12. Prax_88CAB Forum Member

I've had a look for switch and found it....the switch moves freely up and down and seems not to be jammed. I tested the wire coming off this with a test lamp...it didn't light up....was it supposed to light up?? i tried the test lamp in the switch on and off position.

any other ideas? I'm new to all this so unsure wot to check next