Height of Car with Cycles on Top for Ferry Booking

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deako, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Has anyone measured the height of standard hatchback with roof bars and cycle carriers + cycles on top?

Mine haven't arrived yet (or our new bikes) but i was looking at ferry prices for next year, and want to make sure we fit below the maximum height for a car which is 2.5m (8.2ft), but booking direct with Norfolkline, the cheapest method, the height is 2.4m (7.8ft).

Seems like that would be very tight.

2. Collie Forum Junkie

i get on at the cheaper rate with my scenic and a roof box on top, i should measure it. i think its about 2.1 meters

3. paulyDMX Forum Member

Once sunny St Albans, now delightful Deal, Kent
    They're called DFDS Seaways now ;)

4. N/B

N/B Forum Member

You can reduce the total height by removing the front wheel and seat+seatpost of each bike.
    If your cycle carriers are only going to work with all wheels still on bikes, then surely it's
    Height of Car + Height of Bike + 6-12inches allowed for roof bars / carriers?

5. Funky Diver Forum Member

It would probably be cheaper to get a boot mounted rack?

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Yes, correct. When they arrive ill be able to measure. As i dont have the roof bars or know the cycle dimension, i cant work it out.

Just wondering if anyone else has had experience booking ferry crossings before with roof bars and cycles.

The cycle carriers are Thule Pro Ride 591, which have to have the wheels on the bike.

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Cheaper yes. But they are impractical (you cant get in the boot), and ive already bought all the parts 2nd hand from ebay for less than half the price id pay for all the kit new. Also, boot mounted carriers wreck your paintwork.

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You'd think they would let you take the bikes off, prop them where the motorbikes go, then put them on again afterwards! But no, I suppose they want to charge you like a hi-top Transit to get the cash in...

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Thats pretty much the case Parz. Booking through 3rd party companies, they seem to hike the price up massively if the height of the vehicle is over 1.5m. However, Norfolkline directly only charge more if the height is over 2.4m.

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I was going to say something about being 6ft and hardly being able to see the roof of the car, so it must be small - then I realised I was remembering our old Volvo 240, when I was about 12. Volvo 240s are not 6' tall.[:$]

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

No chance of dismantling the bikes and putting them inside? Not enough space?

12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Our car height is 1484mm apparently. 4.9 ft. Leaves around 3ft for the bikes and the roof bars with the max height for a car of 2.5m. I can see us having to book it as a high top Van.

Car will be pretty much full unfortunately with the luggage for the 2 week trip, as the bikes will be worth 2k, id rather leave them locked on the roof than anywhere else by the cars.

Still, plenty of time before the trip at the end of July next year. But want to get ferry crossings booked. If it will end up costing 138+ (like some of the 3rd parties are charging for up to 2.5m) might as well book the Tunnel instead, which is only 20 more for the times/dates we are looking at.

13. mark25 Forum Junkie

I think the height is more for the pricing than anything on the ferries, there always seems to be shed loads of headroom on board when i go, the tunnel is a different matter tho.....

Tunnel will save 1.5 hous per trip, even more if you get there early and can get on early, but if the ferry's a good time to stop anyway, the 1.5 hr isn't so much of a problem. Going in the above 1.8m class on the tunnel limits your crossings from one every 20 mins to about 1/hour.