Helicoiling tools - any recommendations/advice?

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by A.N. Other, Aug 10, 2007.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Anyone got any experience/recommendations? Time to give a historically troublesome ABF alloy alternator bracket pinch bolt a bit more to bite on.

Bound to come in useful, but just not a scooby where to start.

Bet the things are pricey...

Cheers :)

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

i priced up all the gear and it aint cheap..needs some care to do em right as well

better off paying a engineering firm a drink to fit one here n there tbh

3. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

I can get inserts which utilise a normal tappping size therefore eliminating the need for helicoil set which tend to be specific to each thread dimension.
    These use normal taps so if for example you wish to re-thread an M8 tapped hole you will drill and tap for a M12 and insert the repair part which has threadlock on it already for a good repair.
    Helicoils are good if done right and as I said only cheap if you have kit already which by sods law won`t be the case.Also helicoils are only as good as the bloke who fits them tbh.;)
    I`ll try to find link to repair insets I mentioned.

4. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Nice info. Do the inserts shown not have Loctite? So presume they'll need some?

6. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Chris,they have Loctite already on them and are made of hardened steel so better than the application they are applied to.
    What size is it you are aiming to repair ?

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

M8.

Got a couple of inserts I've found lying around from I don't know where, but the threads look really coarse on the outside.

They have tags on them - distant recollection these are used to twirl them in with, and are then snapped off?

Can't see any Loctite on them, but easily fixed.

8. gillm

gillm ***** User

yeh mate get a old bolt amd cut a slot in it then place it in the coil and **** it

9. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

You would need tool to insert them and possibly helicoil tap also.

Let me get back to you tomorrow and I will have a look at what I have ,or get you a price from my supplier for size you are after.

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

ok - cheers

11. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I buy the re-coil kits from my snap-on dealer, includes some inserts, tap and inset tool. All you need then is the correct size drill bit, it lists the correct size on the top of the box

If they don’t have them on the van they will post out direct, suppose I could have one posted to you, let me know as I’ll see him on Monday

12. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

13. vrbanana Forum Junkie

14. KeithMac Forum Junkie

We use Wurth Timeserts at work, a steel threaded insert/cylinder that locks into the hole (you need 4 tools to do the job though). For a one off it may be better to have a shop fit one for you? we charge 12 to supply and fit one.

To be honest I`ve never seen a good Helicoil repair, probably down to the fitting but the only time I`ve had anything to do with them is when they get wound out of parts/ cylinder heads while servicing.

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've got a time-sert kit Chris... You're welcome to try it. Are you anywhere near Windsor?

The inserts are about 10mm deep for the short ones though - will that work in the bracket? What thread is it?

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Cheers for the info guys - will study. Just realised that one I'd found here was a Keensert, which has a really odd thread which it needs.

Trident Racing supplies list these Keenserts, Timeserts and also Helicoil. Confused? I am! :lol:

Thanks for the offer Mike - near J5, M4, or further out? Could be the answer.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2007
  17. Mike_H Forum Addict

J6 M4 - I'll PM you...

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks Mke.

Already jumped in and sorted it. Keenserts which use a standard thread: the business.