Helix clutch fitted with fl&b flywheel, not disengaging ??

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by madmk4, Dec 31, 2008.

1. madmk4 Forum Member

I've deciced what i'm going to do is put a 4mm diameter all bearing behind the push rod in the gearbox to make the pushrod sit flush...

2. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

the only thing I can think of is that there is 2 types of pressure release plate and the uprated pressure plate needs a thicker one.

I have a stock 16v pressure plate to go in my 8v soon, and I alos have brand spanking new 8v clutch set with new release plate and pressure plate so Im hoping that the 8v relsease plate will work with the stock 16v pressure plate,

3. madmk4 Forum Member

Is the 8v and 16v pressure plate the same clamping force ?

4. Blue MK2 Forum Member

im going through the exact same thing mate. Painted my bay abit while the box was out:lol:

Having this problem too. Had the box off twice. Even checked the pushrod and its fine. (even checked the length and it hasnt mushroomed out at the ends)

The box is mating well up to the engine.

Am i right by thinking if the finger was bent or cracked then it wouldnt push the rod out far enough?
    Thing is...the rod extends out about 24mm and ive read that this is ok. Can someone confirm this?

The push rod pushes out but it does not push the pressure plate enough to release the clutch. Cant figure it out

Had enough so we called it a day!
    If it was to be a damaged pushrod or finger. Can you still buy these from vw or get a slightly longer pushrod off another model?

Another thing...Have you fitted the flywheel on the right way? I nearly bolted it wrong so that the TDC mark would have been well out. There are two dowels that need ligning up on the flywheel.

thanks

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Convert it to 02A job done.

6. Blue MK2 Forum Member

In that link MUSHY 16V says that there are two diffrent pressure plates.

Is this true? If so what are the part numbers?

think thats the problem!

thanks

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Certainly sounds like it.

We could do with the distance from the back face of the pressure plate (part that fits against the crank) to the face of the friction surface with the clutch centre plate.

I've got a few here I can measure too.

8. Blue MK2 Forum Member

Ok mate. Ill get the pressure plate off tomorrow evening and take some pictures. Ill compare both pressure plates.

I was also thinking about putting a small weld in the centre of the thrust plate. Just so the pushrod can reach?

9. Blue MK2 Forum Member

back in from re-fitting the gearbox. I measured both pressure plates and they were identical.

re-fitted the original thrust plate and pressure plate as i didnt want to take the box out again! Just fitted the new clutch disk. Hopefuly this should last me another lifetime.

Now the release arm stops at the 9 o'clock position if moved by hand. It used to reach the 10 o'clock position by hand before and didnt release

Just need a manual clutch cable now to test :thumbup:

10. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

they are two types of release plate one for 190mm clutch and one for 200mm/210mm clutch
    but they are not interchangeable so will only fit the clutch they are made for
    so it cant be this
    unless there are more than this
    i have never had a problem with vw clutch's it is only after market clutch's
    this is where i think the problem is with the pressure plates

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Thanks - that's eliminated that?

I've just been down the garage but forgot to look for the knackered bearing under the green end cap, to photograph...