Hello from Cape Town

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by yaya786, Aug 18, 2015.

1. yaya786 New Member

I've seen a few guys using the older alternators, no idea why

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Looks like that car had one of those from the factory build of this one off!

K03s turbos your struggle to get them beyond 220-230ps over here. Usually more than 1.3 bar upsets the flow at high rpm. So I am even more interested to know more about that yellow car!
    Also drive by cable as well.
    Will be great to know if they used a older EA827 Passat or A4 block as the basis for that 1.8T fitted.

3. yaya786 New Member

Most use the AEB block because it's straight fit.
    Also the later golfs that we got also had the engine mounting bracket on the right place so the newer internal waterpump blocks are a fairly straight forward fit as well, provided you bought the custom mounting like I did.
    That vehicle is basically a mystery, VWMS don't like revealing secrets, I have someone who works there, will ask him about it.

Sirguydo likes this.
  4. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Very glad you joined Club GTi YaYa [:D]:thumbup:
    Your giving us some juicy new info thanks :clap:

5. yaya786 New Member

Lol:p uhm okay cool haha

6. Toyotec

Pretty much like the Mk1 GTIs we had here. Epytec does the brackets for EA113 or EA827 here in the EU. I have a Cabby that I am doing similar to.
    I suspect the turbo is more some sort of hybrid part to deliver that level of power. That sort of power is what owners of 225ps spec 8N TT, 8L S3 and 1M Leon CR tend to report.

I am an observer of the Volkswagen 16 Valve Performance group on FB, which features pretty powerful SA 16v cars that drag race. Awesome machines you guys have there.

I know a few lads here in London who are from there as well. They run Diktator ECUs on their cars.

7. yaya786 New Member

Yeah most of us use dictator because it's affordable and does the job.
    There's quite a few strong turbo and n/a 16 valves as well as the 20's
    Some are now using high comp fsi engines for racing,
    The strongest n/a street legal 16 and 20 valves both push out around 190wkw and 270-280nm

8. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

Yep, seen pics like that but none of the block in detail. 1423x1.4 turbo multiplier=1992cc, or eligible for <2000cc hillclimbing :)

Fit with a 16v head (as heads are free), 350-400hp thankyou.

76.5x77.4 bore/stroke

I dont believe we ever had this block version with such a small bore in the UK. Would have mighty wall thickness for lots of boostage :)

Anyone do a 77.4mm billet crank for racing off the shelf?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  9. yaya786 New Member

Yeah most of us use dictator because it's affordable and does the job.
    There's quite a few strong turbo and n/a 16 valves as well as the 20's
    Some are now using high comp fsi engines for racing,
    The strongest n/a street legal 16 and 20 valves both push out around 190wkw and 270-280nm

10. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

2009 model R 70,000

image.jpg

image.jpg

11. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

how to import from SA

The process is not complicated. Headline costs are. You will be required to pay:
    1. 10% import duty on the combined purchase price of the vehicle and cost of shipping.
    2. 20% VAT on the above
    3. UK clearance agent fees circa 600.00 incl collection and removal of your vehicle from the container.
    Once items 1. and 2. have been paid to HMRC the car will be released by the shipping agent for you to collect. You then need to
    1. Have the car MOT'd
    2. Insured
    You should, within approx. 2 weeks receive a notification letter from HMRC to confirm they are happy with the declared value of your vehicle together with confirmation that you have paid duty and VAT.
    Then you take the following documents to your local DVLA test centre:
    1. Your passport
    2. The South African registration document
    3. Proof of insurance
    4. The letter from HMRC as above
    5, Any importation documents
    Present the documents at DVLA office - provided DVLA are happy with all the paper work presented, DVLA will then make an appointment for you to present the vehicle for inspection - usually 7-10 days hence. A DVLA inspector will check the engine and VIN numbers against the documents you submitted.
    Once the above is complete you will be issued with a tax disc.
    Only at this point is it legal to drive the car on UK roads.

The only technical issue I have encountered is a rear fog light that required fitting before MOT pass would be issued - that was an 80's car. The 60's cars were straight forward.

Enjoy - if you do buy a car in SA get someone to check the car out. Get an independent opinion on the car's condition. Contrary to popular belief, cars most certainly rust in SA unless you buy a car that has lived up country and away from the coast.

(by the way, I've imported classic Alfa Romeo's).

from here
    http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1376483

Sirguydo likes this.
  12. Marty's Dub Forum Member

....but at 20:1 would you not consider it a bargain, before the palava of getting all that done? [:D] That's IF it's the 'real deal', which I think isn't. I actually thought one had to own a vehicle in S.A for a period before it could be imported, unless one was immigrating? Rules could have changed??

lol Could be as easy as a bribe going the other way though.

13. Toyotec

Looks like a similar process to importing a JDM vehicle.

14. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

You don't have to pay import duty if you've owned the car more than 2 years, and own it for a further two years. I think that's going to SA though, rather than to here. It's been a while since I looked at that, and have never done it.

Marty's Dub likes this.
  15. shockerboy Forum Member

The reason for the old school Alternator is so the pulley clears the drivers side chassis leg , with the multi v belt new style it rubs against the leg , , we ran the new shape alternator on mk 1 s in SA but panelled the chassis leg out of the way a little , you may also need to modify the air box to miss the pulley ( MP 9 Induction which the Citi golf ran for sometime with the non cross flow motors .) The thing to be careful of when bringing Mk 1 s to UK is the speedo it must read Miles per hour to get clearance here and if its less than 10 years old it will need emissions control which the mark one never had , and air bags which it never had ?? over 10 years old no problem just sort the speedo . Cars from JO BURG never rust , but stay away from CT or Durbs cars . There are endless supplies of Mk 1 s in SA as production only stopped in 2010 . they range from 30 to 40 k rands 10 yeas and older , to 80 to 90 k for one of the limited edition last 1000 cars to be made all numbered and expensive, with 1600 cc engines ( exchange rate approx. 20 to 1 ) Sorry to the point welcome to the Forum YaYa I am Steve from D and S Shocks ( KONI and H&R ) in Jo burg you will no doubt know them for the suspension goodies we sell ( I live in UK now though and my kids run the shop back there ) I want to start importing mk1 s to uk so I have been doing some research .

16. yaya786 New Member

Thanks steve:thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  17. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome to Club GTI :thumbup:

Congrats on a great first thread!!!

18. shockerboy Forum Member

Robt there are plenty race workshops in SA and most of them will have built a VW at some time , Our shop has built dozens of them and my Son is the current VW Challenge overall champion 2012 and 2014 , His POLO 6 R is simply beautifully built from a brand new chassis supplied by VW Motor sport in Uitenhage on the South Coast, r uns a normally aspirated 2.0 FSI engine with throttles and 6 speed manual box . Makes 160 HP on the wheels ( at altitude so approx. 190 hp at sea level ) weighs 970 ( no driver ) our workshop supplies most of the competitors with suspension systems .

19. yaya786 New Member

I've got the Koni kit[:D] installing it next week once all the minor issues have been fixed

20. yaya786 New Member