Hello from Essex

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by marky80Y, Oct 12, 2015.

1. marky80Y Forum Member

Hey peeps,

For my sins I am another Golf MK4 owner, 1999 1.8t AGU in fairly good running order after quite some work.

I only bought it as a stop gap but I rather enjoy it to be fair, all works carried out by myself with limited tools and beer tokens for mates that pass the spanners or pulls me outa the pooh with a random tool I need last minute.

It's not without its faults by any means and took a fair bit to pass an MOT and after nearly 10,000 miles of service, some of which has been on the rather enthusiastic spectrum I am thinking I so need to take this further than the basics to progress it now.

I am mainly here to chat and exchange info, I am currently fiddling around with vcds lite doing some logging and learning.

I work as a car audio and security engineer and have gathered a fair bit of info spanning the VW group and I am happy to share
    with anyone in need of it.

Peace to all :thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  2. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome to the forum mate :thumbup:

I do miss my old MK4 1.8T. :( Any pics of yours ?

3. marky80Y Forum Member

Thanks for the welcome.

Hi Richard, they can be a bit more-ish.Uploading to photobucket now, I assume this is the best way ?

best wishes Mark[:D]

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Welcome. Photobucket is all good!

5. marky80Y Forum Member

:thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the parts from turbo revs via flea bay, quality is ok I guess at 3 layers, only problem I encountered was some rubbing of the drivers side headlamp and I'm guessing flipping it the other way up would probably sort this but it ain't coming off again just yet !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boost hoses all done except for the turbo outlet pipe from the hard pipe to the pancake pipe, took me a while to find that one as struggled to find its name until I looked it up on vagcat then searched for its part number :)

6. marky80Y Forum Member

Thankyou, i'm not the best at all of this tinterweb posting to be fair. Hope to have a half decent idea soon lol :)

7. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Use direct link inserted into picture icon :thumbup:

165_zpsj1s2ycyi.jpg

640_zps14rhrau6.jpg

8. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Welcome :)

9. MonkeyDog New Member

Welcome, nice pics

10. marky80Y Forum Member

Thank you everyone, have been struck down with a tandem abscess hence not really been on since.

I shall get some more work done on my profile when I'm not wanting to remove my own face with a rusty spoon or something similar :)

Best wishes Mark

11. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

welcome tidy mk4

12. marky80Y Forum Member

Ok so I have taken this a little, well a lot further now. It has not been with out pain but I think its worth it.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My doors had dropped both sides and I wanted to clean out and check my intercooler system so did both at once.

I had been chasing a loss of boost since whenever. No joy here either :thumbd:

13. marky80Y Forum Member

[​IMG]

Here you can clearly see an old previous owner war wound on the door of the car, usually covered with gaffer tape to hide it modesty but today it was unmasked in all its glory. Today I stripped it all down, cleaned out with carb cleaner and also removed and cleaned the throttle body and replaced the gasket while in there. Car went back together ok and the doors now shut without the clatter of the lock mech on the door keep every time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got shown these by my mate with a 1.8t aum on a 52 plate who was going over to mk5 gti seats. My rears were in great condition but my fronts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. marky80Y Forum Member

Switched to my phone as having trouble working out the phone photobucket thang even though I did read back I'm just such a noob at the photos thing on forums sorry.

Right anyway to give some back ground on what's been happening with the ole jam jar.

Anyone who loves lots of photos is gonna love me as I do love to snap away when I'm not up to my eyeballs in sweat and fear of ballsing it up. Loads waiting to put !!

Right anyway car.

As it came to me it was on around 102000 miles T Reg with the agu engine I knew that much.

It knocked and banged in allll the wrong places but I loved it.

It felt quick back then, now I realise how slow it really was lol.

Since my last post, it's had every bush, arm, mount changed for febi bilstein and the suspension changed for jom blueline coilovers. I changed all the boost pipes chasing that missing psi (you're gonna love where it was) and it's got a few other little bits too.

I am on first names terms at my local Vw garage and I'm well aware of the "you have to buy 20 of them sir" scenario :/

She's had some bits done inside and outside cosmetically but not a lot at all as the time so far has been making it run bang on first and foremost.

I want to explain through the photos the kind of rough timeline of events if I can, I'm hoping it will make more sense this way.

I have kept many things back but the story is worth it I promise :)

15. marky80Y Forum Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

16. marky80Y Forum Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

The rear bushes were changed and we had a little surprise, one of the rear springs had broken sooooo in the essence of time and lack of funding the angle grinder came out and we evened them up temporarily.

17. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

aye rear springs do go three out of the four went on one of my mk4's
    new rear bushes will make a big difference

see you worked out you use the direct link in photobucket :thumbup:
    fixed the first one for you

marky80Y likes this.
  18. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

I've got some coilovers for a mk4 spare

marky80Y likes this.
  19. marky80Y Forum Member

Thanks bud, running joms now though cheers :)

20. marky80Y Forum Member

Cheers Mushy yeah worked it out with a bit of fettling :)

They all had seen better days and loathed as I was to cut them it was a time option mainly and that its my daily also.

I had a holiday booked with the family and the car needed to do a run to Weymouth for 7 days and then on to Newquay for 4 days to see my sister before returning home to Essex.

I checked all the fluids and gave it the once over and crossed my fingers for the best.

The journey back from Newquay took us 9 damn hours due to accidents on the m5, m4 and congestion on the m25 and being re routed round the back of south mims and getting stuck again. But fair dues to the car it didn't miss a beat and drove like a gem, albeit a noisy gem with its back box that i had discovered had no baffles in it :/

On my return I felt I owed it a gratitude so I began forging a plan for her....

But first I'll add some of the photos of that point too ;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016