Hello from Greece

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Takis Andriopoulos, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Takis Andriopoulos New Member

Hi my name is Takis and i own a mk3 vr6 since 1999 and i want to buy a mk2 that the owner says it's a g60.I was wondering if someone could help to decode the VIN from the mk2 to see if it's g60 as the owner states.

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome.
    I’m sure someone here will be able to help.

Takis Andriopoulos likes this.
  3. slateford Forum Member

Without looking at the vin, the car should have,

ABS unless it's been removed or is a Swiss car where it was an optional extra. Computer inside rear valance.
    260km tacho.
    Raised transmission tunnel. The centre console is smaller than the standard Golf.
    Front wings have a notch in the metalwork under the arch trims.
    PG engine code on boot sticker if present and in service manual.
    Bonded front windscreen if it hasn't been replaced.

4. Takis Andriopoulos New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for the help.The car has the ABS computer in the rear valance,and 260km tacho,it is also equipped with air condition and power windows.I will have to check the center console now to see if it's smaller and of course the transmission tunnel.Unfortunately the boot sticker is missing and the front wings are changed with normal ones due to an accident and the windscreen is also changed and is has rubber all around.The vin number is WVWZZZ1GZKW329686.

5. slateford Forum Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  6. Takis Andriopoulos New Member

Hello,the year of manufacture is 1989,i don't have the registration.I only have the VIN number

7. slateford Forum Member

Looking on ETKA, I found some information that might help.

Three gearbox codes used and date of use on the g60. If yours is an '89, then I would think it should have an AYC gearbox and perhaps the circular pressure relief valve on the cylinder head cover >>PG036377. The square one is PG036378>>

1.JPG

Also the PG engine code dates which give a rough time of assembly. Can be used with the gearbox dates to see if they should be with each other.

2.JPG

I also found this website which claims to have information on the car using the VIN supplied, but they ask for 15 Euros if they are genuine.

https://vindecoder.eu/check-vin/WVWZZZ1GZKW329686

This one says 9 Euros

https://vinspy.eu/check/?vin_code=WVWZZZ1GZKW329686

Below are some more assembly dates for the Corrado PG and Passat PG engines. Also gearboxes fitted to the Corrado.

Corrado.JPG Passat.JPG Corrado gearbox.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2024
    Takis Andriopoulos likes this.
  8. Takis Andriopoulos New Member

9. slateford Forum Member

Certainly looks to be genuine from the pictures. A lot of effort to transfer G60 engine, ancillaries, air con and ABS over to a standard car.

The ABS should be 535614111 or 357614111. Sticker if present is on the fluid reservoir.
    If the brake lever is 191711303E or 191711303H, these were for the G60.
    If the bulkhead heat shield is 191803326, these were for the G60.
    If the centre console is 191863241P, then it has the correct transmission tunnel.

s-l1600.jpg 2.jpg

10. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Looks like a lovely car in the pictures. Interior needs some work but a great car :thumbup: