Hello from Ireland

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by Jonathan O'Brien, Feb 13, 2024.

1. Jonathan O'Brien New Member

Hi All,

I've been on here for a year or so since I fulfilled a boyhood dream of owning a Mk2 GTi so I just said I would say hello. I need to do a few minor bit's to have it ready for summer. Want to change the suspension and need to have the sunroof adjusted also.

Cheers,

Johnny

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome, fellow Irish man.

Jonathan O'Brien likes this.
  3. Jonathan O'Brien New Member

Cheers Tristan. I was going to reach out actually. I remember you mentioning in a FB thread last year that the 16v Bilstein B8's/Eibach set up sat nicer on 8v's. Thing is that I have not pulled the trigger yet to buy them for a few reasons. First one is that I'm slightly concerned that without the adjustability, they may not sit right. I was originally going to get a B12 Pro kit and fit and forget.

I'm going back to close to standard on original BBS RA's which I refurbished recently. Also, because the car currently sits on some fairly harsh coilovers, I would have to buy spring plates/mounts etc...to get the B12 kit to fit. I then got thinking of going down the road of a 'better' coilover e.g. KW or H&R which gives the adjustability and the comfort (allegedly) and I would have the best of both worlds. Any words of wisdom from experience?

The other thing that's doing my head in is that the sunroof does not wind in flush to the roof. I also had water ingress when washing it more than once. I know the seal is not meant to keep water out so I am hoping the rear drains are blocked only and not rotten. The questions is, is it easy to adjust the rood so it winds in flush do you know?

Thanks in advance for any help you could provide.

Regards,

Johnny

4. Tristan

16v kit, but with mk3 top mounts. Sits lovely, oem+ IMHO

Sunroof is fiddley but not too bad

5. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Greetings from another Paddy abroad,
    The Mk2 that I have had Bilstein shocks and coilovers and to say that the ride was an absolute ballache would be an understatement of the highest order.
    Granted, it's also reflective of my age, but I have put the standard 16V mounts, shocks and springs on my 8V, and the difference is night and day. (This was easy for me, mind you, as I had a 16V project that didn't get finished, so I had the springs to hand).

6. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

+1 on this. Tristan convinced me to fit the 16v kit also to my mk2 and I've no regrets. Both Tristan and myself are on factory RA's (I think you are still on them Tristan?) and the car sits perfect IMO. I had originally planned on getting adjustable coilovers, but in the end I didn't want the hassle of trying to dial them in and constantly tweaking to get the best setup.

7. Tristan

"G60" Winters , but still a 195 50 15.

If you have more of a budget, a set of Bilstein B12 or B14 would be great.

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Greetings!!