HELP 1.8 turbo burning oil!!

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by ace_rider, Apr 23, 2011.

1. ace_rider New Member

Hi all, really in need of some help!!!!!!.............

My Mk4 golf1.8 Turbo (AUM) is burning oil big time.Its not leaking anywhere as i have no oil on my drive. Now i have been reading through the forums, some saying it could be the turbo and some saying it could be the piston rings.I also cant see no blue smoke from my exhaust.I dunno if this narrows it down to the correct problem but when i changed my MAF today it stunk of oil and there was blue smoke comming out of the pipe to the left of the maf and also smoke comming out of from where you put oil in. I have found a hole in the lower pcv pipe so im gonna replace that and a pcv valve as there was lots of oil on it. Car seems to run fine,revs up and down abit but im assuming thats to do with the pcv pipe.

Please help guys if you have been through this before.........dreading a 1k garage bill [8(]

2. nealey Forum Junkie

I would start pulling turbo pipes off and seeing how much oil there is in the intercooler etc.

Also check for play in the turbo shafts.

3. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

The reving up, and down definitely sounds like a split in the vacuum pipes, and i'd say the pipe going to the nipple off the bottom of the inlet is the one to change. I had a split in mine (AUM), and it was down to this.

Regarding the burning oil i'd say if you haven't got any blue smoke, you must have a small leak somewhere.

I just found this on uk-mkivs -

:thumbup:

4. ace_rider New Member

Thanks guys for the responce.
    Is it normal though for the smoke to be comming out from where you put the oil in after a 20min drive??espec if it is a just leak from the pcv pipes??

5. ace_rider New Member

also no oil in the intercooler or in throttle body as i cleaned that yesterday. Just like i said if i pull my induction kit away from the maf i see smoke from there and from where you put oil in.

6. nealey Forum Junkie

How many miles does it take to burn 1litre of oil?

7. ace_rider New Member

hi not sure how many litres the engine holds lol but my car was serviced about 2months ago with the oil topped up to the line.... light on now.......guess ive done about 2500/3000 miles. This is the second time ive had to do an oil service since november last year.

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Are you sure it's losing oil? Oil light on a 1.8T is usually signs of low oil pressure. Are you saying it's low on the dipstick because alot of people think oil light means low oil and top up the level. Excess oil finds it's way into various places via breathers.

9. ace_rider New Member

No im deffo losing oil. Like i said i have filled it twice up to the line on the dipstick since november last year and the oil light comes on when it hits the line on the dipstick. I have found oil on the lower pcv pipe but not enough for it to be all the oil in the engine. Like i said though u take off the oil cap or remove my induction kit you see smoke.

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I'm sure you will see smoke/fumes as oil is hot. I know it sounds silly but what colour does you oil light come up?

How many miles on the engine?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  11. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

It`s not smoke, it`s just oil fumes, and perfectly normal to see when the engine is warm.

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

So looks like a classic case of the 1.8T oil pump failure due to blocked pick up.

13. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

It could well be seen as the oil pressure light has been coming on. Or maybe just a blocked strainer, as ive already experienced. [8(]

14. ace_rider New Member

138k on the engine and orange oil light comes on.

15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Oil pump / strainer should be being changed at that mileage. Orange oil light is level. Red is pressure I think.

16. danster Forum Addict

This visible "oily smoke" in the engine and breather pipes could well be down to piston ring blow by. This causes excessive crankcase pressure which will force the oil and ring blow by combustion pressure to fill the breather pipes with oil as it gradually builds up over time. It will be getting burnt in the engine as it is fed back into the inlet tract. Hence the oil needing topped up occasionally.

A compression check will show if the cylinder pressures are within spec.