Help appreciated 16v

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Sam-Oak-Green-mk2, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Sam-Oak-Green-mk2

Sam-Oak-Green-mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,
    In the process of recommissioning my 1990 (H) mk2 GTI 16v which has been in storage for around 13y owned 25y when I first tried starting it no fuel was getting to the injectors so after digging around found the little fuel I left in it had turned to syrup and rotted out both fuel pumps so removed and cleaned fuel tank completely replaced all rotted fuel lines in tank and on fuel pump, both pumps replaced all vacuum rubber hoses rotten and replaced and finally it fired up straight away that was about 3 weeks ago now my pump housing has started to leak from the top around the return pipes the glue has obviously aged that seal it, I’ve used marine epoxy over it and hopefully fixed that problem for now I know eventually an alloy housing will be bought just wanted to get it through a MOT.
    Now I’ve got electrical gremlins car was parked up with everything working now I have:
    1. No big bumper fog light working
    2. No front drivers side light

Also tried to setup CO so replaced o-rings on metering head and brass intake adjustment screw, replaced warm up reg in line filter but I can’t find the 3mm Allen key head inside the metering head it’s possibly been broken or rounded by which ever garage set it up last or I’m just f-ing blind. Question is there a way to check/replace this screw
    Car idles fine but slight hesitation on accelerating so want to adjust co to smooth out.

2. Sam-Oak-Green-mk2

IMG_3686.jpeg IMG_3777.jpeg IMG_3757.jpeg

Attached Files:

3. Sam-Oak-Green-mk2

4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I can’t help with your issues I’m afraid but that is a lovely looking car :thumbup:

Sam-Oak-Green-mk2 likes this.
  5. Matt Golf Forum Member

Morning. I had the same problem with my adjustment screw in the metering flap. It’s tricky to locate the long Allen key head properly. Try shining a very bright light in, you might just be able to see the condition. You can take the flap off and put some penetrating oil if it’s seized. It’s easier to check all this with the metering flap off the car and you should be able to separate the aluminium flap section from the iron metering block without having to disconnect the fuel lines and make a mess! Whilst you can’t access the hex socket without dismantling the flap arm you might be able to see whether the thing is moving and properly locate a hex socket (or star socket if it’s rounded). If you can’t get it moving may have to dismantle the flap arm to restore the thing

6. Matt Golf Forum Member

7. Sam-Oak-Green-mk2

8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I bought a long Snap-on 1/4 drive allen key for adjusting the metering head, worth its weight in gold!.

As said the top of the adjustment bolt is probably full of crud.

9. Sam-Oak-Green-mk2

Just bought one

KeithMac likes this.
  10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I thought the screw was rounded on one of my old engines, turns out it was just full of crap once cleaned out it was good as new. trouble is, not exactly easy to get to it I had to strip the thing fully :lol:

front fog lights are not an MOT requirement, you could just remove them to be 100% sure they wont moan about it. but the wirign for them runs up to a 2 pin spade plug near the coolant tank with white/yellwo and brown wires so start there.

sidelight double check the plugs, they're grey/black and brown on one side and grey/red & brown on the other, swap the sidelight bulb holders over see if the problem moves or stays. theres a sidelight fuse for each side, but if the rear works its not that

11. Sam-Oak-Green-mk2

IMG_3889.jpeg Im hoping it’s just crap down there.
    I know the front fogs isn’t a mot failure just want them working as they should and for the side light I have swopped them over and it works fine.
    Been to the garage and i think the fuel leaks sorted but time will tell started the car had it running for 20mins to check for fuel leak, ive had this running for hours and surprise surprise today I now have a bloody water leak from around the oil cooler/filter area. Walked away for today so frustrating and I have no patience. So I’ll have to check when I next go there. On a plus whilst I was looking for the leak fitted a different grille with a lovely puddle underneath

12. KeithMac Forum Junkie

The oil / water heat exchangers aren't that expensive.

I had a nightmare getting hold of the steel hard line that runs from back of cylinder head to the front of the engine so hopefully it's not that.

A place in Germany sold me a set of silicone hoses including all the multi hose parts last year, the originals were past their best.

13. rubjonny

I had similar leak, turned out when I'd been hammering the oil filter to try and get it off the cooler had rotated a bit putting strain on the coolant hose which then split

14. Sam-Oak-Green-mk2

Thankfully it’s not the steel hard line, it’s one of the hoses that connects to the oil cooler I’m just going to replace them all to silicone ones as they all are probably rotten and whilst I’m there replace the rad, heater matrix, water pump and thermostat which will be done once it’s running perfect.
    Just to eliminate any further leaks

KeithMac likes this.
  15. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Yeh it's worth doing all that just for peace of mind, the Silicone Hoses are a lot better durability wise.

I kept the original Radiator, bought an 8v one that a lot of people said fitted but didn't work in my application.

If you find a decent supplier for a proper 16v rad post it up as it would be good to know.

16. rubjonny

If you want to put an 8v rad on a 16v you need all 3 rad hoses and fan shroud to go with it as it's larger

17. KeithMac Forum Junkie

18. Gti1990xyz New Member

1. No big bumper fog light working - as Rubjonny said not a MOT requirement for front

2. No front drivers side light - to my surprise, when I turned on side lights the horn was on permanent. It turned out the sidelight and horn had a two connector identical shaped connector so I swapped it over. However that would be on UK passenger side.

19. Sam-Oak-Green-mk2

Goner stay with a 16v rad probably try the one heritage sells.
    I’m going to try cleaning out all the connections with contact cleaners and work from there, to get it through the mot I could just temporarily bridge passenger side to driver to get it to light up.
    Just waiting on replacement coolant hoses.
    When it’s out I’ve then got to tackle my once perfect now sagging headlining, I’ve already bought the oe spec headlining kit from heritage goner be replacing it with one of those fibre glass ones as I’ve seen they fit quite well and finally fit the recaros I’ve had sitting in my loft for years IMG_3657.jpeg IMG_3648.jpeg

20. Sam-Oak-Green-mk2

IMG_3898.jpeg IMG_3899.jpeg Front fogs sorted and found leak!! Change relay, fuse and switch. Still got to find out what’s wrong with drivers side light