HELP. Can anyone hep me locate my crankshaft sensor on my mk3 GTI

Discussion in '8-valve' started by bobgeldof, Aug 15, 2008.

1. bobgeldof New Member

I have recently brought my Golf and had the cam-belt changed after which it started misfiring when you rev above 2000 sort of when your resting your foot on the pedal for a constant speed. Took it to a garage and told it was the camshaft sensor, have brought a new one and was wondering weather anyone could point me in the right direction and possible have any tips ?

Many thanks ben

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Greetings, Sir Bob, and welcome!

Cam or crank... make your mind up :lol:

As I don't think it has a camshaft sensor, the crank sensor is at the bottom right of the block, on the front. It's just behind the engine mounting bracket and water pump. You might have to take off the mounting bracket to change it... so a jack under the engine will help.

They're only held on by one allen bolt.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  3. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

camshaft or crankshaft?
    Crankshaft sensor is bolted next to where the engine and gearbox join at the front of the engine.
    The front engine mount bracket needs to come off, so engine will need a jack under it to take the weight.
    Startermotor doesn't need to come completely off, just undo the 3 bolts, and slide them back enough so the engine mount bracket will come off.
    Sensor is held in by an allen head bolt (5 or 6 mm). You may find it easier to take the oil filter off too, but not essential.

Sounds harder than it is, took me about half an hour the other night........... and 10 minutes of that was trying to undo the sensor bolt with a socket before i realised it was an allen head jobby :lol:

4. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

obviously you can type faster than me :lol:

5. bobgeldof New Member

Can i give a big thank-you to ^neo^ and mike H for your help, me and the old man done it this morning thanks to your hints and tips. Hopefully will sort out the **** running.

many thanks

Ben

6. bobgeldof New Member

Can i give a big thank-you to ^neo^ and mike H for your help, me and the old man done it this morning thanks to your hints and tips. Hopefully will sort out the **** running.

many thanks

Ben [:D]

7. bobgeldof New Member

Whats going on now !!??

I have fitted the crankshaft sensor this morning with my dad but still seams to misfiring a little bit but not as bad. Does anyone have any ideas where to start next?

I have done in order :

1 cam-belt changed.
    2 (started misfiring told) New ignition leads.
    3 changed coil pack.
    4 (took to garage diagnosed as faulty crankshaft sensor) New crankshaft sensor.
    5 Starting to lose the will to live .... lol. [:^(]

8. bobgeldof New Member

HELP

Thanks for the info. me and my dad fitted the crankshaft sensor this morning but it still seams to be misfiring a little although a slight improvement. does anybody have any idea were to start next ?

Whats been done already:
    1 cam-belt changed.
    2 (started misfiring told needed leads) New ignition leads.
    3 changed coil pack.
    4 (took to garage and put on diagnosis told needed crankshaft sensor) New crankshaft sensor.

Many Thanks

Ben

9. bobgeldof New Member

sorry getting confussed

CRANKSHAFT !!