Help - dodgy gear box in VR6 :-( ...

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by vr6highline28, Mar 26, 2005.

1. vr6highline28 Forum Member

been having a little trouble getting into 1st recently .......... driving back today the only gears it will drive in are 3rd and 4th (if I try reverse it goes into 1st, and if I try 5th it ends up in 3rd !).

without stating the obvious (!) is the only thing that could be causing this is a knackered gear box (only covered 66k miles) ............ just want to check it's not something simple !!!!!

2. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Cables need adjusting i think.

3. slick Forum Junkie

need the linkages re-aligning??

4. vr6highline28 Forum Member

thanks - i cant believe the gear box is knacked since only done 66k miles ! i've noticed an acidic smell in my garage (now that its parked up) - would that be linked the gearbox aggro ????

are the 2 jobs above relatively simple ????

cheers - Adrian.

5. slick Forum Junkie

I don't see it being the gearbox thats knackered seeing as it will go in gear. It sounds like the selector is out of alignment to me, but then that is just a assumption.

To realign them its going to be easier to get someone with the right tool to set them up as there is usually a guage to line them up right, other than that you can take it to a mate that knows what he is doing, preferably on a ramp whilst you sit in the car and he fiddles around until it is selecting all the right gears when it is the relative position.

As for a cable adjustment i do not know how easy that would be.

6. AndrewF Forum Addict

i was gonna say straight away the cables have slipped.....but then you mention the smell, which suggests its leaking fluid and that could have caused damage inside the box.

try resetting the cables to start with anyway....put in neutral, loosen the bolts under the bonnet, put lever in correct position for neutral, then tighten bolts.

7. vr6highline28 Forum Member

if its the selector could that have been caused by a couple of over enthusiatic gear changes ????? all this info is dead useful by the way .......

bearing in mind all the gears seem to have shifted to the left (though i can only really engage 2 of them in reality) im just wondering if i've made heavy gear change at some point ??????? (not of course that you would in VR6 !)

8. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Apparently this is the correct way to setup the cable change on VR6 but I do believe it can be achieved with a bit of trial and error.

[​IMG]

9. sundodger Forum Member

Does anyone know ifthis tool is available anywhere?

10. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

can be done quite well with trial and error anyway.

12. vr6highline28 Forum Member

thanks for the posts ........... dont have the tools so it looks like a visit to VW [:^(] .... does anyone know if this adjustment is a pricey job (looks relatively simple to me if you have the correct tools above ?!?!?) .........