Help identifying this 2.0L Block

Discussion in '8-valve' started by riffy99, Jun 16, 2007.

1. riffy99 Forum Member

Hello

Planning on doing the 2.0L conversion to the jetta very soon. The main bits are in place, just need a bit of help identifying this block we have just bought. I have a feeling its a AGG Block

[​IMG]

Any Ideas?

Also can the old 1.8 8v distributor be used on this block?

Last question is the anything we have to do to the block before fitting it. It was meant to be running well and looks well looked after, painted etc by the previous owner.

Thanks in advance
    Ad & Rich

2. maltloaf New Member

Hi,
    It looks a lot like the 2e engine block. Here is a pic of mine:
    [​IMG]
    Does the engine number give any ideas?

If it is the 2e engine you will need to use the 2e dizzy. The 18 dizzy is too small and will need an adaptor. Also the drive gear at the bottom is the wrong size.

Hope this helps.

3. RWD19T New Member

defo not an AGG as there is no crank trigger sensor hole underneath the dizzy. If it definatelly has the "2.0" casting on the back then it is more likely to be a 2E if the pistons look like 8v ones. Alternatively it can also be a 6a or 9a 2 litre 16v block. Difficult to tell without seeing the top of the pistons.

4. Setone Forum Member

you can use your dizzy need a fitting kit, tsr sell them adaptor ring etc.. easier to use a dizzy from a 2e engine.
    block looks like a 2e one, do you know what year of car the engine came from?

5. maltloaf New Member

Does the engine number give any indication? It looks the exactly the same as the 2e engine I fitted to my mk2.

6. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Possible 2E tall block motor

This is an 91 block as seen in the block cast stamp. With no cranksender hole and the fact that it has a a PAS bracket for a transverse application I would say this is a 2E 8v motor

Unless you have a TSR or other spacer kit and gear for it no. You would need any 2E dizzy or one from a 2litre transporter van or an Audi ABK motor
    cant comment on engine condition. You would need to pull it apart and recheck all clearances and renew parts where needed.

Impossible JP, this is a tall block this is seen from the spacing between the engine ID pad and the deck or from the bolt hole over the gearbox hole futhermore the oil filter braket is a newer curvy one which would rule out early engines. Plus its unlikey to be a 16v as its is most likey missing the dizzy otherwise it would have a cap/gear pivot and would not need to be disturbed.

7. riffy99 Forum Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Really helpful indeed [:D]
    Fingers crossed this swap should be quite easy....we'll see :lol:

8. RWD19T New Member

True wasn't looking at the casting marks was paying attention to the alternator brackets which weren't 2E. I was wrong to assume it hadn't been messed with during it's live.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

The first part of the engine number is the code.