Help in finding a Mk2...

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Aiden46GTI, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Aiden46GTI New Member

Hi there:thumbup: just new here

Anyone know where i could buy one of these cars? i seen this car and now my heart is set on getting one:lol: so any help would be great in pointing me to a good website for them:thumbup:

2. chrismc Forum Junkie

Classifieds section on here.....
    Pistonheads
    Autotrader

3. DC75

DC75 Forum Member

Terry Tibbs, he's your man!

4. Fray16v Forum Member

the club gti for sale section would be a good.:lol:
    then you'v got ebay(be careful!) gumtree, autotrader, pistonheads, scottishvag and any other vw/golf clubs forums for sale section. right that's enough from me for now there's plenty more you just have to do a search on google or similar search engine.:thumbup:

Dam just noticed that others have beaten me to it i really need to learn to type quicker.:lol:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  5. nealey Forum Junkie

You have only just seen a mk2? Have you lived up a mountain or something for the last 20years?

6. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Some advice when looking at cars.. Ignore any service history it may have, and millage is nothing.

When you are looking at cars of this age, condition is everything, your worst enemy is rust. Do not write off early examples for being old (Peversly they seem less rust prone than the later cars). And modified cars are to be avoided unless done well (But are worth no more than a standard car and must have a good list of everything that has been done)

7. turnipmuncher Forum Member

Just in case you have not purchased a second hand vehicle before or would like a few pointers.....

The cars have been on the road for quite a few years now & maybe involved in fender benders. Look out for miss-aligned panels an un-even panel gap could indicate poor repair job or a hard bash. The car should have an even gaps between the panels.

Check for smoke on start up from the exhaust; smoke could mean worn piston rings or valve guides.

Rusty battery trays in the engine bay, below front windscreen and petrol flap.

As mentioned search function is your friend ;)

8. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

You don't need to be a mechanical genius to keep them running either, whilst you should obviously try to avoid rough examples don't be scared to buy one that needs a bit of mechanical work (if the price is right of course), Mk2s are cheap are quite straightforward to fix. eg new shocks & springs all round 150-200 do it yourself with standard replacement parts from GSF or ECP.

9. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Pm me if you are serious... i am considering selling mine at a decent price...