help me buy a new camera

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Alan, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Alan Forum Member

need to get a few photos of my bike done in the next week or so and my camera is soooo old (3.2mp). Thought it'd be a good excuse to get a digital slr.
    Thinking about a sony a200, any good?

I have no clue about cameras so any ideas on a budget one would be very helpfull.

2. stella

stella Forum Junkie

You might get a Nikon D40 for a bit less. I think Nikon have more experience making digital cameras, but not sure of the spec of the Sony v Nikon.

Try looking at www.dpreview.com, where you'll find in-depth reviews of most cameras.

Or go into Jessops, where the staff seem to be very knowledgable, and will let you play around with them in the shop.

Or find a mate with something similar to what you want, and go out for the day with him and get to use it.

3.2mp isn't too bad - I've taken half-way decent pics with my Nikon 990, but when I used it recently, the lag drove me absolutely nuts! I'd forgotten how bad it was with compacts.

Good luck!

3. Dub20vt Forum Member

i read a review of budget DSLRs in a mag last month and it was rated very highly (best in test over nikon/canon/olympus and samsung).

i'd say go to a shop and have a play to see how you get on with it in your hand (jessops is ace for this).

i plumped for a canon 400d which you can get for sub 300 as it's the old model. but all comes down to personal preference really all will have similar features.

4. Alan Forum Member

might have to pop down to jessops at the weekend and have a look. It's not just the shutter lag that drives me mad but it's also the time it takes after taking a photo before you can take another one!
    Only one of my mates is into photography and he's in afganistan at the min!

5. Alan Forum Member

had a quick look on the net, but seem to find the 400d for much less than 350-400. Any ideas on who's doing them cheap or is it a case of going in store?

6. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I've just bought a nikon d40 6.1mp (from amazon :lol:) for 267.21.

Plus nikon are doing a 40 cashback - where they send you 40 off the price! so a dslr camera and 28-55mm lens for 227.21 delivered. (also need an SD card for 10 for 2gig)

I'm very impressed with it so far! I love the simplicity of just setting it up, clicking and seeing results straight away rather than having to develop my my own film at college - old slr's were never like that! Picture quality is awesome.

The massive range of settings and complete customizability of everything is still confusing me, but I downloaded a dvd rip of guide for just the d40! ;)

7. Alan Forum Member

think the cash back offers finished[:^(]

8. WillG

WillG Forum Member

cashback terms

nope! [:D] "The closing date for applications is 30th September 2008" but only 10 days to go though!

took me a while to find this years deal.

9. Dub20vt Forum Member

you can buy them through canon on Ebay.

they have an online store that sells their refurbished stock.. so basically you get a brand new camera with 1yrs warranty as you normally would.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Canon-Outlet_W0QQsspagenameZL2QQtZkm

10. andyj Forum Member

I picked up the same D40 deal on Amazon as the other guy above ;)

I then managed to get myself a Sigma HSM 70-300mm APO lens for 135 delivered from Micro Globe

Used it whilst on honeymoon, got over 1000 shots, and I'm very impressed with it!

11. Alan Forum Member

had the chance to use a canon eos and really liked it, so looks like it's going to be the 400d. Seen a few places doing them with memory card and a few other bits but i get the feeling that there dodgy. Ebay account registered in usa but product in uk, might be wrong though as they have tons of good feedback.

12. Alan Forum Member

hi, got my camera this morning. It's a 400d twin lens, got the battery charging and can't wait to give it a go.
    Thanks for all your help:)
    i'll post up some pics once i've had a bit of practice with it.

13. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Have you got any photos to show us yet?