Help! Need to identify what this is off!

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by oldmanmille, Apr 27, 2007.

1. oldmanmille New Member

Hi Guys,
    I have a MK1 with a 2litre 8v motor in it. Was told it was from a mk3 but I cannot identify this plenum. It is not the same as my 1996 MK3 that I have and I thought maybe it was a 16v inlet arrangement.

Can anyone tell me what model it is off and how i would desribe it? The problem I have is there is a circa 1/2 inch casting at the back that has started throwing air out and car will not idle. If i put my thumb over the circa 3/8inch dia hole it is ok. I had to tape it up at Cadwell and tie wrap the tape on but the air is still bypassing.

I then need to know if the casting is supposed to be blanked? Is it an adjustment for something? Should a pipe be connected?

Hoepfully some experts amongst the forum can aid me with this, so thanks in advance....

John

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sciroccotune Forum Member

well the injection and top of the engine is normal mk1 1.8 gti stuff.

has it not just had a 2l bottom end fitted?

the bit i think you mean is the TB? if so any number of mk1 era cars such as the scirocco and very early golf 2will have the part you need

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  3. oldmanmille New Member

Cheers mate. Must just have the bottom end then, thanks for that. So do you have any idea what this exit is off the plenum?

4. Sciroccotune Forum Member

its been a while since i had a mk1 gti but i think (think) that it should connect to the aux air valve? but could be wrong. (may well be infact)

one of the mk1 guys will be able to check for ya or ill have a look in the book tonight.