Help needed on my 1.8t Audi A3

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by cocobay63, Sep 30, 2008.

1. cocobay63 Forum Member

Hi Guys, urgent help needed after a day of deliberation its not good, going along the bypass to work my temprture gauge nearly went off the scale so pulled over checked for the obvious thing temp cooled down and drove another mile and half and happened again this time i called the AA he told me that the water is not circulating, and said the thermostat will probably need changing so he towed me to the garage at my request they changed the Thermostat and the problem still consists, the hoses are warm apart from the bottom hose which leads me too think that the Water Pump is gone, any other ideas, or......... the fact i dont want to believe that the head gasket ??

2. bula_82 Forum Junkie

has the water pump ever been changed? its normally done at the same time as the cambelt iirc, whats the mileage on it?

3. cocobay63 Forum Member

i checked today the cambelt was changed at 108,000 miles nothing on the recipt saying it has been changed milage now is 4 miles short of 114,000 miles,

4. Admin Guest

Definitely water pump then. Cambelt needs to come off at the same time so the same price.

sorry.

5. cocobay63 Forum Member

Cambelt has already been replaced tho, so defintaly the Water Pump then ? because after he changed the thermostat he had the car running the temp was ok, but the bottom hose was still coldish, the heating inside the car wasnt very warm niether, and the water res was bubbling, sound all familiar ??

6. nealey Forum Junkie

Best way to check is to take the hose off going to the expansion tank and get somebody to hold the revs up, if there is no or little flow then the water pump is shot, its very common.

7. bula_82 Forum Junkie

the cambelt needs to come off to change the water pump, thats why they are normally done together

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

these engines apparently have an issue with waterpumps, the cheap ones have plastic impellers that fall off! You want to get a better one with a metal impeller if you can, thats as far as my knowledge on the subject goes :lol:

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i was at the dealer last year getting some parts, basically we worked out that they went back to plastic impellors at some point too.

rev it (when cold) and see if there is any water returning back to the expansion tank. if you dont wanna do the cambelt again, youll have to limit yourself to extremely short journeys, ie living life a quarter of a mile at a time

10. cocobay63 Forum Member

so will the cambelt really need changing again ? because it looks as if it was done at 108,000 miles and its on 114,000 now, im 60% sure it should be the water pump, because the water apparently just was not cirulating round the engine, because the bottom hose was not up to temprature,

11. rubjonny

unless the belt is damaged it can be reused, just make sure it goes back on the same way round as it came off. worth lookin at just how much a new belt is gonna cost as well ;)

12. cocobay63 Forum Member

sugar, might work out quite an expensive job then

13. rubjonny

sweety, you never know it might be ok :lol:

14. cocobay63 Forum Member

too True, hey whats with the "Sweety" im a geezer ya know lol, think the thing im really wound up about is the fact i got paid yesterday gonna have to folk out the week i got paid,

15. rubjonny

you started it, called me sugar :lol:

16. cocobay63 Forum Member

lol, nah i meant sugar as in oh crap more money, lol :lol:

17. deepdishtj Forum Member

yeh the w/p's are crap. audi never sold the metal ones but there is a manufacturer making them. try some facotrs

18. stu h Forum Member

the cambelt service is coming up on ours next month [8(]

I will have to look into the metal-impeller waterpump. I was just going to buy from VW.

19. cocobay63 Forum Member

yea the garage is going to start to take it apart tommorow, so when i call them im going say that i dont them to put any of them apart from the metal impellers, so hoping i get my car back tommorow cant be dealing with the bus anymore

20. Admin Guest

Its 6 or two threes. Plastic ones break and metal ones sieze.

Yes the cambelt needs to come off to get at the waterpump. A Cambelt costs like 8, the vast majority of the cost is labour, so changing the waterpump is going to cost you .

If I were you I'd replace it with a plastic one. You'll have another 100K before it goes brittle and break, and lets be honest, the car will be rotten before that anyway.