Help on Brakes

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by vwbobby, Sep 24, 2013.

1. vwbobby Forum Member

Hi all,

I own a 1991 corrado 1.8 16v 4 x 100 with 256mm brakes and want to upgrade my brakes to something bigger.

I would just like to find out are the VR6 calipers the same as G60 calipers?

Basically I can get a set of corrado vr6 calipers and carriers at a good price and want to run 4 x 100 corrado 280mm G60 discs and pads It this possible to do?

Cheers

Bobby

2. gingernuts Forum Member

No, vr6 calipers are different, and not any better. Better to get a set of g60 caliper carriers, then you can use your existing calipers and the g60 discs to take you to 280mm. Combined with a decent set of pads you will then have a very adequate set up.

3. boraboy Forum Member

Corrado VR6 and G60 calipers and carriers ARE the same, it is the disc that is different.

I have fitted 280mm VR6 corrado calipers and carriers to my 16v without any problems

4. gingernuts Forum Member

Its 288mm calipers that are different that i was referring to for 5 stud cars. Well as far as i know anyway

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

The early VR6 mk3 Golfs and Corrado VR6s used 280s. (5 stud) Girling calipers.

16v calipers aren't as wide as the VR6/G60

16v 256mm disc is 20mm wide vs 22mm wide for VR6/G60.

Later Golf VR6 used 288s with the ATE calipers, these can be used on 4 stud with a careful disc selection.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  6. gingernuts Forum Member

I should imagine the 2mm difference would effect it too much even with brand new pads would it??

Cheers for putting me straight though. knew I was on the right lines!

7. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Back in the day I used 16v calipers and pads on G60 carriers/discs, but had to have the slider machined down so it'd all fit.

8. watercooled Forum Member

Do you really need to go that big unless you are going to a vr or 1.8t conversion,a wise man would do a stock rebuild with OEM parts and good quality pads,after all the g60 never made a lot of power more than the 16v kr.

9. Steve B Forum Junkie

If it's the same as the mk2 golf, just fit the early vr6 calipers and carriers with the 4 stud g60 disks. No machining required, direct swap no fuss, great brakes!