Help please - dead ECU

Discussion in '8-valve' started by nic-clark, Apr 23, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nic-clark Forum Member

Hi everyone,

I think my ECU is dead - would not start this evening leaving work and massively overfuelling. Eventually found main earth loose so am guessing I've ruined my ECU :cry:

Does anyone know what I need, where I get it from and if it is easy to fit? Are there secondhand ones to be had? I need to get back on the road again ASAP!

Cheers!

2. tonymontanagb New Member

what car do you have ?

3. nic-clark Forum Member

Sorry, its a 90 8v gti. Thanks!

4. tonymontanagb New Member

sounds like the ecu is dead, does the fuel pump run all the time when the ignition is on ?

be careful not to lock the engine up with all the fuel going in if so

get the part number off the ecu under the scuttle and have a search on ebay or ask on here to see if anyone has one

5. nic-clark Forum Member

Thanks for the reply, the pump does not run all the time I don't think. Primes and stops.

I'll get the part number tomorrow and hopefully get one sorted.

Cheers.

6. nic-clark Forum Member

Just in addition... There are a few on eBay for the PB engine. Do the part no's have to match exactly or are they reasonably interchangeable? I will of course try and match mine exactly.

Thanks.

7. nealey Forum Junkie

You can use any as long as it's for a digifant 2, I've got a few but I'm not 100% if they work

8. 8bitAl Forum Member

I had a similar problem with my '89 digi, car wouldn't start even after towing etc.

After some messing about I found the earth strap to the gearbox had corroded almost completely through.

Have you tried fixing the earth? Once I fitted my new strap all was good and the car fired up first time.

Might be a cheap fix for you. :thumbup:

Alex. :)

blis and nic-clark like this.
  9. nic-clark Forum Member

Thanks everyone for all the help - I've ordered one on eBay for less than 50 which has the same part number exactly to be safe!

The earth strap doesn't look to bad in terms of condition but was loose on the mounting point.

I'm stupid really as it gave me plenty of clues over the last week or so - no dash lights on occasion and other strange happenings. I think it has been intermittently disconnecting and caused damage. I think to be safe I will replace it though.

Just out of interest, my car has never had the bonnet earth strap - is it important?

Cheers guys - this place is amazing!

10. 8bitAl Forum Member

Fingers crossed it works for you, mate.

Just double check the earths tho, mine looked fine till I touched it and it crumbled and left literally three strands of wire connecting it.

I was showing all the signs you've had for the past week, strange electric goings on and only starting on the second or third attempt.

Obviously make sure you disconnect the battery before plugging/unplugging the ecu or any other electrical tinkerings.

nic-clark likes this.
  11. nic-clark Forum Member

Thanks for all the help so far... Today I fitted the new ecu, exact part match. The bottom line is that it started but only by push starting. It idled OK, rougher than normal though. Turned it off once it had charged the battery and it will not restart from the starter.

Could all this really be down to the earth? It's green at the ends but feels solid enough. I forgot to try with a jump lead and will do so tomorrow. Have I missed something else? It has been really solid for the past few months. It wants a new exhaust which I'm sure will affect the idle a bit but otherwise its OK - serviced 3 months ago with new plugs. Spark at plugs is good, timing set properly. Oil is correct, air getting in OK, vacuum system seems good...

I'm getting to the limit of my expertise and patience now. It wouldn't be so bad but it's stuck in my work car park in Bracknell and my wife is starting to question the things I said about 8v reliability lol

Any help appreciated :thumbup:

Nic

12. 8bitAl Forum Member

Hi mate.

Things I'd be checking/replacing.

Plug leads
    Coil
    Dizzy cap, rotor arm and hall sender
    Fuel filter
    ISV

Pull all the earths off and clean them, also clean the connectors on the starter motor.

Double check the vac hoses.

Follow the 8v set up guide by Rubjonny. i'd link it but I can't find it at the mo.lol

I'm sure some kind person will post it up.